Showing 233 results

Archival description
Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections Quakers -- Tasmania -- History
Print preview View:

53 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Mather Family Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC M19
  • Collection
  • 1816-1925

Collection consists of material relating to various members of the Mather family, the Society of Friends , miscellaneous correspondence from Quakers and the Friends School

Robert Mather

Correspondence

Personal letters and other documents, letterbooks and business correspondence

George Washington Walker

Walker Family Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC W9
  • Collection
  • 1820-1913

The papers consist mainly of family correspondence of G.W. Walker and his children and a few diaries and miscellaneous papers. James B. Walker's letters to his sisters, particularly letters to Mary Augusta while she was over seas are especially descriptive of his activities and of Hobart life. Mary Walkers' letters from London describe her life as a student in London and her correspondence with friends met then contain references to artists, especially women painters and sculptors.

George Washington Walker

Proposed voyage in ship 'Hope'

Proposed voyage to Van Diemen's Land in ship 'Hope' June 1821 - January 1822. Papers relating to the proposal of some members of the Wesleyan Methodist Society to proceed to V.D.L . and the decision at meetings of 29 June, 2 July, finalised on 4 July, to travel in the ship 'Hope' owned by Messrs Degraves and Macintosh, Captain Francis Allison. However the ship was held up by HM Customs at Ramsgate, being both unseaworthy and overloaded, and the owners failed to provide the provisions and accommodation promised. The Government eventually chartered another ship, 'Heroine', to continue the voyage.

Robert Mather

Robert & Ann Mather Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC M10
  • Collection
  • 1821-1835

Papers relating to the voyage out and settlement of Robert Mather and his wife, Ann (Benson). Many of the papers (Ml0/16-20) consist of extracts from letters from Ann Mather to her brother, Rev. Samuel Benson, and sisters Isabella Whytall and Sarah Benson (m. Hammond 1832), in UK and were probably given to their niece, Sarah Benson Mather who married George Washington Walker in 1840, after Ann Mather's death in 1831.

Robert Mather

Judd & Brownell Family Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC J5
  • Collection
  • 1822-1961

Miscellaneous items collected by Nancie Hewitt (nee Brownell), including copies of Judd and Brownell papers, notes relating to Judd, Brownell and Propsting families and other items given to Mrs Hewitt. Also Mrs Hewitt's notes on the Society of Friends and the Quaker faith and some photographs of Quakers.

Thomas Judd

Ann Mather's letters home

Ann Mather's letters home Jan 1824 -1829. Extracts and copies of letters from Mrs Ann Mather (nee Benson) to her brother, Rev. Samuel Benson, and sisters, Isabella Whytall and Sarah Benson in London, apparently made after her death, consisting mainly of religious sentiments. Also copy of her Memoir written by her brother Rev. Samuel Benson(18b)

Ann Mather

Richard Stickney Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC S9
  • Collection
  • 1832-1835

Collection consists of family and legal correspondence and transcripts of letters

Richard Stickney

George Washington Walker to Esther Stickney

Letters written by George Washington Walker to Esther Stickney dated April 1834 and November 1835 regarding : Journal writing, Esther's afflictions, parental discipline, plant specimens, glad to hear her brother had given "proofs of his best feelings being exercised towards his family, Barclay's Apology, Backhouse's health (26 April 1834, also copy "per favour T. Mather"); thank for journal; search for Richard and information about his death, his job with Thomas Steel and lodging with Thomas Soltit and wife who kept the "Jolly Tar" public house. his property; the Meeting House in Sydney (November 1835)

Richard Stickney

Marriage

Marriage certificate of George Washington Walker and Sarah Benson Mather, married at Friends Meeting House, Hobart. Dated 15th December 1840. Witnessed and signed by many of the respectable inhabitants of the colony

George Washington Walker

John H Fisher Letters

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC F1
  • Collection
  • 1842-1845

Collection consists of five letters from a Quaker, John H. Fisher, in Hobart to his brothers, Reuben A Fisher and Thomas W.Fisher in Cork, Ireland.
John Fisher asked for news of his family, mentioning particularly his sisters May, Susanna and Margaret, Uncle John, cousins and friends and the other apprentices and he inquired if brother Thomas was still apprenticed to Henry Morris. His past misfortune was his own fault and he did not expect friend Thomas Harvey to forgive him (F.1/2) and he wanted to know if the Friends Society had disowned him and how people he owed money to felt (F.1/4). He had not been much to the Friends Meeting House in Hobart -- it was very different from home (F.1/3). Fisher had been in Port Philip and went into the bush but had an accident crossing the Goulburn River when a bullock dray ran over his legs and broke his thigh. In Hobart Isaac got him a job as overseer to David Lord but he was the only free person employed. Now he was working with Isaac who was teaching him hat making (1843 F.1 /2) but in 1845 he wrote that hats could be imported more cheaply and Isaac was fell mongering - getting up wool for the English market (F.1/4). There was a depression in Hobart but his life was comfortable. Hobart had 4 insurance offices, 4 churches (2 English, 2 Scotch), a Catholic chapel, 4 dissenting houses and a Friends Meeting House. In his last letter, dated 11 November 1845, John Fisher says he is thinking of
trying for Californian gold. One letter was later endorsed with a letter from A. Fisher to Thomas dated 31 . 12 . 1894 from Dymond City, N.C., enclosing the letters from their brother John and commenting on A.F.'s good life in the U.S.A., news of his children and his
farm on which he still led an active life although both he and Thomas had "passed the three score and ten"

John H. Fisher

Thomas Judd's diary

Diary of Thomas Judd (1822-1915) son of Thomas Judd (1794-1887) and Elizabeth (Cane) on a voyage from England to Tasmania on the "Sir Charles Napier" with his family: "Father and Mother, Elizabeth, myself, John, Ann, Rebecca, Susan, Martha and Henry (we have left William behind - being deaf and dumb - to receive his education in the asylum)". The diary consists mainly of the voyage: weather, activities on board, prayer meetings in their cabin. On arrival they took a house in Macquarie Street and looked for jobs. Ann and Elizabeth were offered posts as governesses but Elizabeth died on 30 December, at the age of 22, and was buried in the Scotch burial ground.
Typed typescript made by D. Little 2 July 1953 - spelling and punctuation altered.

Thomas Judd

Robey & Mather Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC R7
  • Collection
  • 1843-1962

Miscellaneous papers and photographs relating mainly to the family of Joseph Benson Mather

Joseph Benson Mather

Reminiscences of Sarah Benson Walker

Sarah Benson Walker's reminiscences of her life in Hobart Town as recorded by her son James Backhouse Walker. It includes narrative of the voyage out, and descriptions of Hobart in the very early period, information about Hobart personalities as well as the story of Sarah Benson Walker's life

James Backhouse Walker

Abraham Davy - letter to Francis Cotton

Letter to Francis Cotton from Abraham Davy dated 7 November 1844. Davy remembered his visit to the Cottons and the Cottons visit to NSW. He also mentioned his family - Helen making progress at school, Meetings, Quakers Ruth Allen and J.P. Robinson, plainness of speech, T. Pollard's children, second marriage.

Thomas Judd

Donation from Bicheno

Document dated Liverpool 1844, George Walker on behalf of the Total Abstinence Society for the donation of a pound towards funds from James Ebenezer Bicheno

George Washington Walker

Letter from Bicheno, Colonial Secretary's office

Letter dated 30th November 1850 from the Colonial Secretary's office signed by James Ebenezer Bicheno regarding a grant of land at the south end of Collins Street Hobart to the Total Abstinence Society.

George Washington Walker

Plan for the advocacy of the Total Abstinence Society cause

List of gentleman and proposed dates for the plan for the advocacy of the Total Abstinence Society cause in connection with the V.D. Land T.A Society at the Prisoners Barracks, Hobart Town up to December 1851 on the second Friday evening in the month at 7 o’clock

George Washington Walker

Man seated

Unidentified daguerreotype in a plain leather and velvet case of a man, seated, young to middle age, with side whiskers. Head lightly coloured, shirt front painted white, plain background, 1 pillar

James Backhouse Walker

Woman seated

Unidentified daguerreotype in a plain leather and velvet case of a woman, seated, wearing bonnet with white ribbons and flowers, holding parasol, background of classical pillars, head lightly coloured.

James Backhouse Walker

John Beecham Brownell letter to parents

Written from school, Mr Cowle's 'Hobart Town Classical and Commercial Academy' by John Beecham Brownell to parents [Thomas Coke and Elizabeth Brownell] dated 15 December 1851: Christmas holidays would start on 17 December.

Thomas Judd

Notes on the Society of Friends (Quakers)

Nancie Hewitt's notes on the Society of Friends (Quakers), including drafts of talks, "James Backhouse and George Washington Walker, adapted and summaries from 'a narrative of a voyage to the Australian Colonies by James Backhouse' for young friends by Nancie Hewitt" (typescript), photographs of pages of F. Mackie's "Journal" including sketch of Hobart Town 1852.

Thomas Judd

Frederick Mackies Journal

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC M2
  • Collection
  • 1852-1855

Collection consists of a photocopy of Mackie's diary dated 1852 - 1855 bound into two volumes with accompanying photographic prints and 35 mm. negatives of some illustrations contained in the diaries.
The diaries (except for the South African portion), with most of the sketches, were published in 1973 as Traveller underconcern, transcribed and edited by Mary Nicholls for the History Department of the University of Tasmania.

Frederick William Mackie

Minutes of meeting

Minutes of an overflow meeting held in promotion of National Temperance in the Infant School Room, Murray street on the evening of Thursday 6th July 1854. Address delivered by David Blair on the important subject of "National Temperance". George W Walker in the chair.

George Washington Walker

Letter to Philip Smith

Letter to Philip Smith, Hobart Town, regarding the committee of the Temperance Society and the importation of intoxicating drink

George Washington Walker

Memorandum

Memorandum regarding the location and the construction of the Temperance Hall at the end of Murry and Davey Street, Hobart dated 1854 and signed George Washington Walker

George Washington Walker

Petition

Copy of an uncompleted petition from the inhabitants of Hobart Town and its vicinity to the Honourable the Legislative Council of Van Diemen's Land. Petitioners therefore pray that the 38th Section of the Licensing Act, commonly known as the " Sunday Clause" may not be repealed.

George Washington Walker

Copy of circular addressed to candidates at elections

Copy of circular addressed to candidates at elections. Letter to Arthur Perry (Member of the Legislative Council) dated 5 March 1855 from the committee of the Tasmanian Temperance and Total Abstinence Association bringing to his consideration the very demoralising effect of treating Electors with intoxicating drinks and the vile system of supplying the means of drunkenness and debauchery at elections

George Washington Walker

Circular addressed to licenced victuallers

Copy of circular, dated 1855, Hobart Town, addressed to licenced victuallers and others interested in the sale of intoxicating drink advising them of the enclosed petition prepared by the Tasmanian Temperance and Total Abstinence Association to the Legislative Council prohibiting the Sunday traffic in intoxicating liquors.

George Washington Walker

Account

Account with Temperance Alliance rendered 20 May 1857 in account with Geo. W Walker

George Washington Walker

Man seated

Ambrotype in case of a man seated, youngish, straight, short hair, moustache and beard, leaning on elbow on side table with books and lace cloth, plain background, slightly tinted.

James Backhouse Walker

Woman and man seated

Ambrotypes in case of two unidentified portraits. Woman in left side of case and on right side man, seated, thin face, side -burns, white shirt. Background of drapery and mountain view. Head lightly tinted, shirt front painted white. two portraits in oval frames in one case.

James Backhouse Walker

Little girls seated

Ambrotypes in cases of little girls. Both seated, wearing black and white Pierrette type white dresses. One child has ringlets. Cases: tooled imitation leather, lined red velvet, frames oval top.

James Backhouse Walker

Carte de visite

Collection of carte-de-visite some subjects named. Verso with photographers details

James Backhouse Walker

Ambrotypes

Unidentified ambrotypes, identity of subjects and photographer unknown

James Backhouse Walker

Woman seated

Ambrotype in case of a woman, seated, youngish, hair straight, drawn back off face, lace collar, gold chain, background drapery and vase of roses. Head, chain and background lightly coloured. in a case of tooled imitation leather, lined with red velvet.

James Backhouse Walker

Joseph Benson Mather Correspondence

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC DX20
  • Collection
  • 1862-1881

The bulk of the correspondence consists of Francis Cotton's letters to Joseph Benson Mather, and some other correspondence from members of the Society of Friends (Quakers), family and a few business correspondents also a few letters addressed to Joseph Benson Mather’s children.

Joseph Benson Mather

Queech Cliffs

M. Allport, "from Queechy Tasmania" (cliffs), 1862. S Clifford, Hobart Town.

James Backhouse Walker

Sandy Bay

Photographs of Sandy Bay taken c1870-1882 by Winter photographer.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart and environs

Various photographs of Hobart and Hobart environs taken between 1870 and 1882. Photographed by H. H. Baily, and Anson Bros.

James Backhouse Walker

View from Mr. Robert's garden, West Hobart

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking towards the Eastern Shore. The panorama has been taken from Mr. Roberts' garden with various shrubs and a Norfolk Island pine in the foreground. Henry Hall Baily is the photographer. He had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart, looking towards St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart, looking towards St. George's Hill, Battery Point. Showing St Georges Church and James Luckman's windmill probably taken in the 1870s.

James Backhouse Walker

View from Mr. Robert's garden, West Hobart

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking towards the Eastern Shore. The panorama has been taken from Mr. Roberts' garden with various shrubs and a Norfolk Island pine in the foreground. Henry Hall Baily is the photographer. He had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Mount Wellington and surrounds

Photographs of Mt Wellington, Huon Road, Fern Tree Bower, Waterworks. Taken c1870-1882 by photographers Anson Bros., Baily and Albert Sargeant Photographers

James Backhouse Walker

Cabinet Portraits

Collection of cabinet portraits some subjects named. Verso with photographers details

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart view to the east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of an elevated view of Hobart looking east taken near Browne Street, (about 1876, according to a note on the reverse). Warwick Street in the foreground. Photographed by Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart from the top of Murray Street

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from the top of Murray St in about 1876 according to notes on the reverse. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Macquarie Street, Hobart - looking north

Various photographs of Macquarie Street, looking north taken c1877-1893-4. Photographed by Beattie (electric tram car),
Winter, Anson Bros, and H H Baily

James Backhouse Walker

Waratah

Photograph of the town of Waratah, Tasmania (visited by J B Walker 1887) c1878-88

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart looking south east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking South East with a garden in the foreground and Elizabeth Street in the middle distance. The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1874-1880.

James Backhouse Walker

Mt. Wellington from the foot of St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Mt. Wellington from the foot of St. George's Hill in about 1870. The view is from the corner of Albeura St and Sandy Bay Rd. The photographer's name, Woolley, is recorded in a note on the reverse and presumably refers to Charles Alfred.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart view

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Hobart viewing over St. Davids Park, probably from Hampden Road, (in about 1878 according to a note on the reverse). The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart from Huon Road looking east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from Huon Road looking east in about 1879, according to notes on the reverse.

James Backhouse Walker

Elizabeth Street, Hobart

Various photographs of Elizabeth Street, Hobart, looking north and south, taken c1879, 1881 by photographers Anson Bros. and Winter

James Backhouse Walker

View of Hobart from West Hobart

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from West Hobart. Looking down Murray & Harrington Streets. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart looking east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from West Hobart looking east toward the river, showing Holy Trinity Church. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918..

James Backhouse Walker

Murray Street, Hobart

Various photographs of Murry Street Hobart. Photographed by Anson Bros. and Winter

James Backhouse Walker

New Norfolk

Photographs of the Bush Hotel, River Derwent. Taken c1880-1882. Photographed by Baily and Winter

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart streetscape in snow

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a Hobart streetscape in snow - looking towards Mt Nelson and Sandy Bay.

James Backhouse Walker

Mt. Wellington from St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Mt. Wellington from St. George's Hill with Hawthorn Cottage in the foreground and Bishopscourt - Garden Crescent and Davey Street Chapel in the background (according to notes on the reverse). The photographer was the Anson Brothers, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Friends' Meeting House, Murray Street

Photograph titled First Friends' Meeting House: The first Quaker Meeting House in Hobart. A cottage at 39 Murray Street which was bought by James Backhouse in 1837 with a loan from Meeting for Sufferings, London. The cost was £400 including alterations. Shows Mr Cheverton and Mr Shields and uniformed police constable in front, Holy Trinity Church on hill in background. From 12 February 1832 the visiting Quakers James Backhouse and George Washington Walker held periods of worship in the Quaker manner and others sought leave to join them. These included ex-English Friends who had been transported, some of whom were still prisoners, other convicts and ‘locals’, together with four current members. The gatherings were held in private homes and various rented rooms. The Hobart Meeting began in 1833 when the first Meeting for Discipline was held on 20 September 1833 at the home of Thomas Crouch, Bathurst Street. Members present were Thomas Squire, Ann Pollard (minor), James Backhouse and George Washington Walker. Photograph (mounted) J. Bishop, Osborne (& copy neg)

George Musgrave Parker

Liverpool Street, Hobart

Various photographs of Liverpool Street, Hobart including Perkins and Nephew Wholesale & Retail Drapers and Grocers. Photographed by Anson Bros.

James Backhouse Walker

Launceston Streetscapes

Photograph of Launceston, Cataract Bridge, Tamar River. Photographers : WA Cawston, Anson Bros.

James Backhouse Walker

William Levitt Wells Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC DX27
  • Collection
  • 1884-1910

Collection consists of journals and letters relating to William Levitt Wells and his family.

William Levitt Wells

Journals

The journals have been published as "Immense Enjoyment, the illustrated journals and letters of William L Wells 1884·1888, the life of an early Quaker family in Tasmania" edited by Faye Gardam and published by the Devon Wells Historical Soicety (1987) a copy is held at UTAS Library Cent.Quaker DU 194.3, .W45, A3 1987
Diaries, illustrated with sketches, written in duplicate copy books, using a lead point on thin copying paper with a blue "carbon" pad which printed both on the back of the copying paper to darken the faint impression made by the lead point as well as on to the slightly thicker copy paper pages which were perforated to tear out (the copy being darker and clearer writing than the "top"). In the last volume, however, the top flimsy pages were removed to send overseas (possibly now written with a pen) and the copy made with a blacker "carbon" was retained

William Levitt Wells

Results 1 to 100 of 233