Showing 1107 results

Archival description
Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections With digital objects
Print preview View:

North Tasman Gold Mining Company

One scrip certificate issued by the North Tasman Gold Mining Company Registered, North Mount Cameron, Tasmania. Registered under "The mining Companies Limited Liability Act", 1869. The certificate certified that Edward le Rossignold is a member of the above named company and hold ten shares on each of which the sum of eleven shillings and threepence has been paid. Progressive number of shares 15242-15251. Number of issue 1014 . Three stamp duty stamps affixed. Blue one penny, red threepence and purple sixpence. All with an image of a platypus.

City Prospecting Association

Scrip certificate for ten one pound shares for the sum of seventeen shillings each, issued to Edward Le Rossignol of New Town by The City Prospecting Association. Registered under "The Mining Companies' Act" 1884. Issue number 149. Share numbers 611 to 620. Dated 14th April 1888. Signed by two Directors and the Manager of the company.

Sunrise Prospecting Association

Scrip certificate for ten five shilling shares for the sum of two shillings and sixpence, issued to E. Le Rossignol of Hobart by The Sunrise Prospecting Association. Registered as a No Liability Company under "The Mining Companies Act, 1884". Issue number 399. Share numbers 2401/10. Dated 5th April 1888. Signed by the Director and the Manager of the company.

William Sorell : Journal

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC S17
  • Collection
  • 1823-1825

Collection consists of type written transcript of original diary of William Sorell Jnr. for the years 1823-1825.
In his journal Sorell made brief daily entries of his voyage out, his reception at Government House, the arrival of Lt. Governor Arthur, his new post as Registrar of the Supreme Court. The entries are brief but of particular interest are his references to the arrival of ships and his meeting officers and other people of note landing at Hobart. He makes occasional references to his work and cases in court and to Judge Pedder and his wife. Apart from his work Sorell's chief activities, as noted, were riding, walking, reading and dining with 'friends and officers of the Barracks and Convict Department. He attended church regularly on Sunday and mentions the arrival of an organ subscribed for by the in habitants (13, 14 April 1825). He took occasional shooting trips, mainly to the Coal River (Richmond). Most of the entries are, however, brief and lacking in detail or descriptive accounts as may be illustrated by his reference to a proposal to transfer the capital to Brighton: 'Meeting at Government House. Removal to Brighton in a large Meeting. I attended. I think the Lt. Governor has made up his mind upon the removal.' (19 May 1825)
Transcript of original diary of William Sorell Jnr. made by L. Rodda and P.S. King. ( 83 pages) Photocopy only now held. Also a typed name index to diary to diary - on catalogue cards made by L. Rodda.

William Sorell

Alfred Harrap & Son Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC H4
  • Collection
  • 1857-1957

Collection consists of correspondence concerning wool shipment and an illustrated booklet compiled by C.B. Thomson and issued to celebrate the firms centenary entitled Alfred Harrap & Son Pty Ltd 1857 - 1957

Alfred Harrap & Son

Funeral of Princess Charlotte

Manuscript of sermon preached by Rev. Knopwood entitled "Funeral sermon on H.R.H the Princess Charlotte of Wales"

Robert Knopwood

The state of the departed

Manuscript of sermon preached by Rev. Knopwood entitles "The state of the departed", 6th December 1829

Robert Knopwood

Dean Letters

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC D8
  • Collection
  • 1850-1852

Two handwritten letters addressed to William Dean. One letter has engraving of Hobsons Bay and Williams Town, Port Phillip. HAM brothers, Engravers. Published by John Hunter, Elizabeth Street, Melbourne

William Dean

Henry Lewis Garrett : Degree of Associate of Arts

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC C8
  • Collection
  • 1863

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Seal of Tasmanian Council of Education 1859, red wax, lozenge shaped, backed paper: open book "Floreat Tasmania' on diamond pattern, in tin (separate from document). Diploma has decorative border of oak Leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Bills : June 1818

True copy of 2 bills for £100 each delivered to his brother Ralph Terry, now residing at Forcett Mill, by John Terry. True copy dated 6 June 1818 signed John Terry & Ralph Terry

John Terry

Photograph of gentleman

Photograph of elderly bearded gentleman, wearing coat and waistcoat with watch chain, sitting in chair. This is a photographic copy of a photograph which had written at the bottom on a piece of white paper, attached: 'Yours sincerely James J. Terry, 10 December 1846'. However the photograph probably dates form the late 19th century and James John Terry son of Ralph Terry was probably born in 1846. (Possibly the apparent signature and date was faked as a joke?).

John Terry

Robert & Ann Mather Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC M10
  • Collection
  • 1821-1835

Papers relating to the voyage out and settlement of Robert Mather and his wife, Ann (Benson). Many of the papers (Ml0/16-20) consist of extracts from letters from Ann Mather to her brother, Rev. Samuel Benson, and sisters Isabella Whytall and Sarah Benson (m. Hammond 1832), in UK and were probably given to their niece, Sarah Benson Mather who married George Washington Walker in 1840, after Ann Mather's death in 1831.

Robert Mather

Edmund Morris Miller Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC M9
  • Collection
  • 1903-1970

Collection consists of corresspondence recieved, and draft correspondence. Also includes Library Associations, personal records, university lecture notes and papers relating to the University Library. Notes and drafts of publications and lectures and photographs

Edmund Morris Miller

Letter to Philip Smith

Letter to Philip Smith, Hobart Town, regarding the committee of the Temperance Society and the importation of intoxicating drink

George Washington Walker

Unidentified document

Undated and unsigned document regarding excessive drinking in taverns, ale houses and gin palaces. May be a draft for a magazine.

George Washington Walker

Memorial to the Honourable the Legislative Council of Van Diemen's Land

Petition detailing the large portion of human misery, inculding poverty, disease, and crime induced by the use of alcoholic or fermented liquors and asking that the Council enact a law similar to that now in operation in the State of Maine ; which must, by its natural effect, not only entirely banish intemperance and all its consequent evils from the community, but will remove the oppression with which it weighs upon the moral and physical energies of the people, and be the surest means of promoting their social and domestic happiness, and their advancement in wealth, knowledge, and religion.

George Washington Walker

Marriage

Marriage certificate of George Washington Walker and Sarah Benson Mather, married at Friends Meeting House, Hobart. Dated 15th December 1840. Witnessed and signed by many of the respectable inhabitants of the colony

George Washington Walker

Wedding cards in envelope

Two wedding cards with decorative scalloped edges attached together with metallic beaded clip, one smaller, inscribed Mrs D.F. Jobson and D.F. Jobson in a silver embossed envelope with decorative seal addressed Mr & Mrs G.W. Walker

Mourning card Isabella Mather

Mourning card constructed from heavy card-stock, and made up of an intricate formal design that is cut and embossed. Black margin surrounding card and envelope. Also black bordered printed insert “Lines on the death of Isabella, the beloved wife of Mr John Mather, and second daughter of Mr Abraham Biggs, who departed this life on the 14th June, 1863 aged 30 years and 9 monthe. Her end was peace.

In memoriam Hannah Maria Benson

Folded memorial card with black margins. In loving memory of Hannah Maria, widow of the rev. Samuel Benson M.A. Chaplin of St. Saviour’s Southwark who died February 18th, 1882 aged 73 years. Interred at Norwood Cemetery, grave number 18495

Photograph of the old prison station

Photograph of the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847.

Photograph of doorway at Strathelie

Photograph of doorway at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of the front door of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of Braeside from the south west

Photograph of Braeside from the South West, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of of nine gentleman

Photograph of nine gentlemen, three seated. Photograph named. Back row Thomas Mather, Thomas Binns, Charles H Robey, Lewis May, Robert Mather, N H Propsting. Seated William Wells, J. Francis Mather & William Corben

Friends' School

Photograph of classrooms and gymnasium

Photograph of classrooms and gymnasium. 1889 the Friends school committee borrowed £4000 from the Baptist Union and purchased property in Commercial Road, known as Hobartville with a house built in 1832. This remained the nucleus of the school, but alterations and additions were made frequently.

Ralph Middenway Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2019/2
  • Collection
  • ADD dates from index (Creation)

Collection consists of 12 unaccessioned boxes

Ralph Middenway

Bullock team carting timber

Bullock team carting timber, "Wynphotoprint" ND.
''Wynphotoprint" hand colored series published by Selwyn Cox, Launceston', titled:· "Amongst the big logs" Lebriwa, (Lebrina) near Scottsdale' showing bullock teams; logs and wooden waggon way rails.

Thomas G. R. Williams

Margaret Sturge Watts Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/1
  • Collection
  • 1906

Papers of Margaret Sturge Watts include photo albums of relief work in Central Europe after World War I, an autograph album, visitors books, journals, an unpublished autobiography, newspaper cuttings and miscellaneous items including the notification and congratulatory letters for Margaret Watts' MBE in 1957 for her work in the 'assimiliation of new settlers.'

Margaret Sturge Watts

Tankard

Leadless pewter tankard, with inscription 'T.U.R.U.F.C., Presented to George Wilson, in appreciation'. Huntly, Sllcraft Pty. Ltd., Melbourne

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Bottle of wine

Green bottle of red wine, with cork in. Label reads: 'University Rugby Club Red 1986. George Wilson, the Club patron, with black and white photo, 1983 under. Cabernet Sauvignon. An elegant red for the true red man and Club supporter, eminently suitable for imminent consumption or short term cellaring

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

George Wilson Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2019/1
  • Collection
  • 1932 - 1980

Collection consists of rugby memorabilia and other material relating to the life and work of George Wilson, master of Hytten Hall, the University of Tasmania's first residential college

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Unidentified

Pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink at Callanna, South Australia, 20-21/7/30 - identified by Olive Pink as "plant about 2 to 3 inches high both at Beltana and Callanna"

Olive Pink

Vetch - Swainsona

Pencil, some coloured on card, sketched by Olive Pink "from" Meadows, South Australia 20/7/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Vetch - Swainsona

Olive Pink

Results 1 to 100 of 1107