Showing 225 results

Archival description
Hobart
Print preview View:

122 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Cranes repairing Tasman Bridge

Colour photograph shows cranes atop pylons at the site of repair work to Tasman Bridge, damaged by the crash of the ore carrier Lake Illawarra in January 1975; missing pylons being replaced.

Repairs on Tasman Bridge roadspan

Photograph in colour, taken from Eastern Shore of Derwent River, depicting repairs to roadway and pylons damaged in January 1975 crash of bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra. Mount Wellington in background.

Hal Wyatt

Beginning of construction of Tasman Bridge

Colour photograph depicts vehicular traffic on the temporary, floating Hobart Bridge, as consctruction begins downstream on the multi-lane Tasman Bridge to join the eastern and western shores of the river.

Hal Wyatt

Tasman Bridge works

Construction site on riverbank as work begins on Tasman Bridge; cranes, steel scaffolding and brickwork evident. Workers in hard hats; one man striding towards camera, wearing gumboots is poking his tongue out at the photographer.

Hal Wyatt

Hobart Bridge and Tasman Bridge

Colour photograph taken from the western shore of the Derwent River, depicts vehicles travelling on the temporary, floating Hobart Bridge, while the nearly complete multi-lane Tasman Bridge to join the eastern and western shores of the river, is visible downstream.

Hal Wyatt

Hobart Bridge and Tasman Bridge in winter 1964

Colour photograph of two bridges across the Derwent River, the Hobart Bridge, right, and the Tasman Bridge, left, as viewed from the eastern shore of the Derwent in August 1964. Snow caps Mount Wellington in the background.

Hal Wyatt

Centre span of Tasman Bridge under construction

Colour photograph of the centre span of the Tasman Bridge is under construction in 1963, as viewed from a vehicle travelling on the nearby Hobart Bridge, which carries vehicular traffic across the Derwent River on a temporary, floating platform.

Hal Wyatt

Building Tasman Bridge 1962

Colour photograph shows construction of Tasman Bridge, with scaffolding, cranes and workers atop frame, photographed from the water, bridge built across the Derwent River, taken 1963.

Hal Wyatt

Building Tasman Bridge early 1960s

Colour photograph shows construction of the Tasman Bridge, in early 1960s, as viewed from the eastern shore of the Derwent River; the floating Hobart Bridge is visible in foreground; Mount Wellington in distance, with dry grasslands in the foothills of the mountains, visible on western shore of river.

Hal Wyatt

Bullock team in Dunn Street, Hobart, 1952

Colour photograph depicts team of eight red oxen, most likely Red Devon or Shorthorn cattle, pulling a wagon on concrete roadway, in Dunn Street, Hobart, 1952, towards the city away from waterfront, wagon laden with hessian bags, children riding on wagon alongside several hatted men; passing in front of newly extended weatherboard building with newly installed windows; exterior of 1902 sandstone Customs House visible in background. Photograph is taken looking towards current site of Tasmanian Museum Art Gallery courtyard entrance, in area now known as Dunn Place.

Hal Wyatt

Cadet dinghy on Derwent

Colour photograph shows a child sailor at the rudder of a cadet dinghy on Derwent River sailing upstream, while another pleasure craft is travelling in opposite direction; both are sailing past the Royal Australian Navy ship, the Destroyer Escort, HMAS Torrens, (No. 53 emblazoned on the side) is berthed just off Port of Hobart.

Hal Wyatt

Chalmer’s church building in Hobart before demolition

Colour photograph of a church building, constructed in greying sand stone, with ivy climbing up wall on attached building; originally the Chalmer’s Free Church and Manse, in Hobart, on the corner of Harrington and Bathurst streets, later the Chalmer’s Presbyterian Church; congregation merged with St Andrew’s in Hobart to form, Scots Church; Chalmers church building sold in 1954 to Neptune Oil Company, which demolished it to construct a fuel station.

Hal Wyatt

Construction of Tasman Bridge 1961

Colour photograph taken from Derwent River shows construction of Tasman Bridge, 1961, shows scaffolding and crane gantry in place near shoreline.

Hal Wyatt

Boats moored at Constitution Dock in front of Marine Board building

Colour photograph of boats moored at Constitution Dock, Hobart, early 1970s, with distinctive 11-storey brown clad Marine Board of Hobart building, visible in background. Image was erroneously labelled as being taken in 1954, but Marine Board of Hobart building was constructed between 1970 and 1972.

Hal Wyatt

After the yacht race

Colour photograph of yachts moored at Hobart waterfront, after a yacht race, masts, rigging, sails being stored by crew on yachts, including Southern Myth and Defiance.

Hal Wyatt

Dark sails on yacht

Colour photograph shows sailors in small yacht, with dark mainsail, on Derwent River, at dusk.

Hal Wyatt

At the Yacht Club

Colour photograph shows yachts at Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania and cars parked beside waterfront

Hal Wyatt

Sailing boat moored in Hobart, 1950s

Colour photograph of small, two masted sailing boat, with green painted hull, and a sign Onrust, Holland, pinned to mast, Onrust also painted onto side of boat.

Hal Wyatt

McNaught beam engine at works depot in Hobart 1967

Colour photograph of beam engine in Hobart, purportedly the oldest McNaught Beam Engine in existence, originally built 1854 in Paisley Scotland, by A.W. Smith and used by Risby’s Sawmill in Hobart until 1955; photograph taken at Moonah public works depot 1967

Hal Wyatt

Billowing sails on Derwent

Colour photograph of yachts racing on Derwent River with cargo ships berthed at Port of Hobart in background; foothills on land are dry

Hal Wyatt

Flower bed at botanical gardens

Colour photograph of Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens at Queens Domain, Hobart; depicts garden beds, lawns and Derwent River, looking towards Selfs Point Jetty and petroleum storage tanks at Selfs Point.

Hal Wyatt

Murray Street ferry pier and ships docked in Hobart

Colour photograph of ferry pier at bottom of Murray Street, Hobart, departure point for the Bellerive ferry; cargo and passenger ships docked at nearby Princes Wharf, including the steamer Orsova; sign advertising Cascade Ale on the Customs House Hotel.

Hal Wyatt

Tasman Bridge nears completion

Colour photograph shows construction of Tasman Bridge, from Derwent River’s Eastern Shore. Shows spans of Tasman Bridge almost completed from Eastern Shore, temporary floating Hobart Bridge upstream of new multi-lane road bridge; snow on Mount Wellington in background. Printing or scanning error in photograph/slide shows coloured lines horizontally through. photograph.

Hal Wyatt

Repair work on Tasman Bridge

Colour photograph shows site of repair work to Tasman Bridge, damaged by the crash of the ore carrier Lake Illawarra in January 1975.

Hal Wyatt

Repair work on Tasman Bridge continues

Colour photograph shows site of repair work to Tasman Bridge, damaged by the crash of the ore carrier Lake Illawarra in January 1975; missing pylons being replaced

Hal Wyatt

Fern Tree Hut

Black-and-white photograph of rustic hut built amid fern trees on walking track at Mount Wellington, two figures walking across timber bridge amid fern fronds

Track to waterfall

Black-and-white photograph shows path to near base of waterfall in foothills of Mount Wellington, two men standing near a barrel beside a metal mesh and barbed wire fence and a padlocked gate barring access to the stream

Road to Government House, on Gun Carriage Drive

Black-and-white photograph taken looking north along Gun Carriage Drive towards Government House, Hobart, with post-and-rail fences on Derwent River side; a horse harnessed to a four-wheel carriage, is on the left of the road; a small jetty extends from the shoreline and a boat is visible through the trees, anchored just off shore.

Buildings on Salamanca Place

Black-and-white photograph shows stone buildings along Salamanca Place, timber stacked on New Wharf and masts of ships docked at the wharf; signs on buildings for “A.E. Lord Wool Merchant” and “W.D. Peacock and Co.”, historic home Lenna and eastern conservatory visible on hilltop behind towards Battery Point; maritime signal station with the Time Ball that was dropped automatically at 1pm, after a relayed telegraph signal from the Melbourne Observatory.

Liverpool Street, Hobart

Black-and-white photograph depicts police officer standing in middle of Liverpool Street, Hobart, with YMCA and J.W. Toplis Pharmaceutical Chemist listed as tenants of the corner building.

Letter from Adam Taylor of Valleyfield

Handwritten letter from Adam Taylor to his brother William dated 9th November, Valleyfield.
Transcribed :
My dear Willie
We have got three turkeys out and two chickens beside, there are four hens and one turkey sitting. We have had four or five gooseberry pies. Robert went to Melbourne last Saturday with uncle and Jamie and aunt Buist. Old Joe was out getting some wood and someone broke his window, got in and stole all his things. A beautiful owl came into the garden. Robert caught it in the laundry and we sent it to Mr Whitcomb. Miss ??? sends her love to you. I am your affectionate Adam Taylor

Adam Turnbull Taylor

Henry Lewis Garrett : Degree of Associate of Arts

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC C8
  • Collection
  • 1863

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Seal of Tasmanian Council of Education 1859, red wax, lozenge shaped, backed paper: open book "Floreat Tasmania' on diamond pattern, in tin (separate from document). Diploma has decorative border of oak Leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Degree of Associate of Arts

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Diploma has decorative border of oak leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Photograph of Westcott's Bookshop and circulating library

Photograph of Westcott's Bookshop and circulating library, Collins Street, Hobart. Standing outside are Mr Westcott and a little girl, Till, wearing a pinafore. The photograph shows the shop of John Andrew, Bellhanger. The photograph was made by the University photographer from an original 'stereoscopic' photograph (i.e two adjacent photographs mounted on card to be viewed through a special viewer), made by S. Clifford, Hobart Town. The original was endorsed 'The little girl with pinafore Auntie Till, Dad in his
shirt sleeves standing next to her. Fitzgerald's building now; M. Westcott 4.7.32'.
In this photograph street numbers are not visible. Westcott's circulating library sign is shown on the middle shop in a two-storey brick building, with three shops. The shop on the right has the sign 'Depot Christian Knowledge Society'. The shop on the left has a sign, part of which can be read under a magnifying glass as 'wool warehouse', and underneath on the shop lintel is a faint sign which may include the word 'bookseller" On the right of the photograph a small weatherboard shop bears the sign 'Andrew, Bellhanger'. - W. Westcott of 63 Collins Street, advertised new and second-hand books and a circulating library in Wood's Tasmanian Almanac, 1856 (p.126). The same advertisement appears in Walch's Tasmanian Almanac, 1864, but in the 1865 Almanac the address is given as 63 & 65 Collins Street. However, Hull's Hobart Town Directory, 1859 lists W. Westcott as 65 Collins Street', (65 being apparently the middle shop), so possibly both premises were already occupied by Westcott. By 1871 it had become Westcott's Circulating Library, 63, 65 &67 Collins Street. In 1879 the advertisement read (Westcott, Beedham & Co. circulating library and importers of books, stationery and music', The last advertisement in Walch's almanac appeared in 1881. The Christian Knowledge Society (Tasmanian Auxiliary, President the Lord Bishop of Tasmania}, for which Westcott acted as depository was first listed in Walch's Almanac under (Societies and Institutions) in 1869 (p. 132). John Andrew, Bellhanger, Collins Street, advertised in Wood's Almanac in 1856 (p. 148L and is listed in HuWs Hobart Town Directory of 1859 at 61 Colllns Street. He does not appear in Walch's Almanac of 1863 or any later date, nor was he listed in Macphail's National Directory of Tasmania, 1867-68. S. Clifford, photographer, Liverpool Street, Hobart Town (photographer of album and stereographic portraits, private buildings, shipping, monuments....L advertised in Walch's Almanac of 1864 (p. 43) and again annually up to 1869. It would seem, therefore, that the photograph was probably taken between 1863 and 1869. It is a clear photograph of exceptional quality.

Kenneth McKenzie Dallas

Thomas Alcock: last will and testament

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC DX2
  • Collection
  • 1856

Photocopy of the last will and testament of Thomas Alcock, dated 1856, leaving legacies to his children and his second wife, Ann. Executors were Thomas Lodywyk Crowther, surgeon, and John Regan, tanner.

Thomas Alcock

Earle Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC E4
  • Collection
  • 1909-1931

Material relating to John Earles parliamentary career including his appointment as attorney general, photographs and material belonging to his wife Susanna Earle nee Blackmore

John Earle

Fuller Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC F6
  • Collection
  • 1916-1965

Collection consists of personal and business correspondence, financial records, scrapbook and cuttings scripts of broadcasts, stories and plays. Theatre programs, photographs and pins and badges. There is also material collected by Francis Ruby Fuller and Edwin Charles Fuller

William Edwin Fuller

Correspondence 1917-1918

Letters to children (including letter to Margaret for her birthday enclosing cigarette card), certificate that Sapper W. Fuller was employed in the ordnance department, A.I.F.

William Edwin Fuller

Account Journal

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC F6-10
  • Item
  • July 1921 - March 1927
  • Part of Fuller Papers

Bookshop account journal dated July 1921 - March 1927 including wages, furniture, stock.

William Edwin Fuller

"Bookshelf Library" catalogues

File consists of multiple items including Fullers "Bookshelf Library" catalogues, sale notes 1936 etc., publishers' lists, notes of trip abroad, 1954; also cards, bookmarks, labels and small jig-saw puzzle and library notice.

William Edwin Fuller

Scrapbook

One scrapbook dated 1950 - 1954, includes advertisements and cuttings mainly relating to Fuller's Bookshop.

William Edwin Fuller

Cuttings etc.

Loose in file. Notes, cuttings, etc. relating mainly to Fuller's Bookshop; also banquet menu, 1954. National Booksellers' League cricket dinner; poem: "24 hour leave" by H.B. from Punch 8 October 1941; account; of the wreck of the George III (Govt. House, 1939)

William Edwin Fuller

Results 1 to 100 of 225