Photograph in colour, taken from Eastern Shore of Derwent River, depicting repairs to roadway and pylons damaged in January 1975 crash of bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra. Mount Wellington in background.
Colour photograph depicts vehicular traffic on the temporary, floating Hobart Bridge, as consctruction begins downstream on the multi-lane Tasman Bridge to join the eastern and western shores of the river.
Construction site on riverbank as work begins on Tasman Bridge; cranes, steel scaffolding and brickwork evident. Workers in hard hats; one man striding towards camera, wearing gumboots is poking his tongue out at the photographer.
Colour photograph taken from the western shore of the Derwent River, depicts vehicles travelling on the temporary, floating Hobart Bridge, while the nearly complete multi-lane Tasman Bridge to join the eastern and western shores of the river, is visible downstream.
Colour photograph of two bridges across the Derwent River, the Hobart Bridge, right, and the Tasman Bridge, left, as viewed from the eastern shore of the Derwent in August 1964. Snow caps Mount Wellington in the background.
Colour photograph of the centre span of the Tasman Bridge is under construction in 1963, as viewed from a vehicle travelling on the nearby Hobart Bridge, which carries vehicular traffic across the Derwent River on a temporary, floating platform.
Colour photograph shows construction of a temporary traffic span of the new Tasman Bridge, as viewed from the western shore of the Derwent River, in 1964; the floating Hobart Bridge upstream is visible in background.
Colour photograph shows construction of the Tasman Bridge, in early 1960s, as viewed from the eastern shore of the Derwent River; the floating Hobart Bridge is visible in foreground; Mount Wellington in distance, with dry grasslands in the foothills of the mountains, visible on western shore of river.
Colour photograph depicts team of eight red oxen, most likely Red Devon or Shorthorn cattle, pulling a wagon on concrete roadway, in Dunn Street, Hobart, 1952, towards the city away from waterfront, wagon laden with hessian bags, children riding on wagon alongside several hatted men; passing in front of newly extended weatherboard building with newly installed windows; exterior of 1902 sandstone Customs House visible in background. Photograph is taken looking towards current site of Tasmanian Museum Art Gallery courtyard entrance, in area now known as Dunn Place.
Colour photograph shows a child sailor at the rudder of a cadet dinghy on Derwent River sailing upstream, while another pleasure craft is travelling in opposite direction; both are sailing past the Royal Australian Navy ship, the Destroyer Escort, HMAS Torrens, (No. 53 emblazoned on the side) is berthed just off Port of Hobart.
Colour photograph of a church building, constructed in greying sand stone, with ivy climbing up wall on attached building; originally the Chalmer’s Free Church and Manse, in Hobart, on the corner of Harrington and Bathurst streets, later the Chalmer’s Presbyterian Church; congregation merged with St Andrew’s in Hobart to form, Scots Church; Chalmers church building sold in 1954 to Neptune Oil Company, which demolished it to construct a fuel station.
Colour photograph of boats moored at Constitution Dock, Hobart, early 1970s, with distinctive 11-storey brown clad Marine Board of Hobart building, visible in background. Image was erroneously labelled as being taken in 1954, but Marine Board of Hobart building was constructed between 1970 and 1972.
Colour photograph of beam engine in Hobart, purportedly the oldest McNaught Beam Engine in existence, originally built 1854 in Paisley Scotland, by A.W. Smith and used by Risby’s Sawmill in Hobart until 1955; photograph taken at Moonah public works depot 1967
Colour photograph of Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens at Queens Domain, Hobart; depicts garden beds, lawns and Derwent River, looking towards Selfs Point Jetty and petroleum storage tanks at Selfs Point.
Colour photograph of ferry pier at bottom of Murray Street, Hobart, departure point for the Bellerive ferry; cargo and passenger ships docked at nearby Princes Wharf, including the steamer Orsova; sign advertising Cascade Ale on the Customs House Hotel.
Colour photograph shows construction of Tasman Bridge, from Derwent River’s Eastern Shore. Shows spans of Tasman Bridge almost completed from Eastern Shore, temporary floating Hobart Bridge upstream of new multi-lane road bridge; snow on Mount Wellington in background. Printing or scanning error in photograph/slide shows coloured lines horizontally through. photograph.
Black-and-white photograph shows path to near base of waterfall in foothills of Mount Wellington, two men standing near a barrel beside a metal mesh and barbed wire fence and a padlocked gate barring access to the stream
Black-and-white photograph shows waves lapping shoreline of Derwent River in foreground, with Government House on the hill, surrounded by mature trees, tall picket fence runs parallel with river, two wires strung between poles, visible through trees
Black-and-white photograph shows Hobart General Post Office viewed from Franklin Park. Words “G.P.O., HOBART, FROM FRANKLIN PARK” and “V6” are typewritten in black on white reverse panel at bottom of photograph
Black-and-white photograph depicts Miller’s Corner on the intersection of Liverpool Street and Murray streets, Hobart, looking towards waterfront down Murray Street. A.P. Miller, dispensing chemist, died 1904
Black-and-white photograph taken looking north along Gun Carriage Drive towards Government House, Hobart, with post-and-rail fences on Derwent River side; a horse harnessed to a four-wheel carriage, is on the left of the road; a small jetty extends from the shoreline and a boat is visible through the trees, anchored just off shore.
Black-and-white photograph shows stone buildings along Salamanca Place, timber stacked on New Wharf and masts of ships docked at the wharf; signs on buildings for “A.E. Lord Wool Merchant” and “W.D. Peacock and Co.”, historic home Lenna and eastern conservatory visible on hilltop behind towards Battery Point; maritime signal station with the Time Ball that was dropped automatically at 1pm, after a relayed telegraph signal from the Melbourne Observatory.
Handwritten letter from Adam Taylor to his brother William dated 9th November, Valleyfield. Transcribed : My dear Willie We have got three turkeys out and two chickens beside, there are four hens and one turkey sitting. We have had four or five gooseberry pies. Robert went to Melbourne last Saturday with uncle and Jamie and aunt Buist. Old Joe was out getting some wood and someone broke his window, got in and stole all his things. A beautiful owl came into the garden. Robert caught it in the laundry and we sent it to Mr Whitcomb. Miss ??? sends her love to you. I am your affectionate Adam Taylor
Eight captioned black and white images in proprietary envelope. Showing views of Hobart. From envelope - Valentine's Snapshots. Eight real photographs. Hobart, No. 1. Published by The Valentine Publishing Co. Pty. Ltd. Melbourne and Sydney.
Seven captioned hand coloured images in proprietary envelope. Showing views of Hobart. From envelope - Valentine's Snapshots. Eight real photographs. Hand Coloured Hobart, No. 1. Published by The Valentine Publishing Co. Melbourne and Sydney.
Eight captioned hand coloured images in proprietary envelope. Showing views of Hobart. From envelope - Valentine's Snapshots. Eight real photographs. Hand Coloured Hobart, No. 1. Published by The Valentine Publishing Co. Melbourne and Sydney.
Ten captioned fold out colour images in unidentified proprietary post-able envelope. Showing views of Huonville on one side and Hobart on the other. From envelope : A Colorful Souvenir of Huonville and Hobart, Tas.. Natural views.
Ten captioned fold out colour images in proprietary post-able envelope. Showing views of Hobart and New Norfolk. From envelope : A Colorful Souvenir of New Norfolk, Tas. Derwent Valley with Hobart. Up-to-Date Views. G & G Series.
Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Seal of Tasmanian Council of Education 1859, red wax, lozenge shaped, backed paper: open book "Floreat Tasmania' on diamond pattern, in tin (separate from document). Diploma has decorative border of oak Leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.
Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Diploma has decorative border of oak leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.
Seal of Tasmanian Council of Education 1859, red wax, lozenge shaped, backed paper: open book "Floreat Tasmania' on diamond pattern, in tin with document Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town.