This badge, a smaller version of the cloth badge was probably a badge of the Tasmania University Union, and is based on the official Common Seal of the University, omitting the star and rose and the inscription, with the addition of a punning motto IN UNITATEM UNI.TAS, it also appears on the TUU magazine Platypus and may have been adopted in the 1920’s when the Union first sent teams to Inter-Varsity sports. In April 1932 it was reported in Togatus that estimates had been received by the S.R.C. from a Melbourne firm for metal badges – ‘Mr Michells considered the Union did not need metal badges and would not be able to dispose of them. But Mr Smith’s motion that a hundred badges should be purchased at 1/6d was carried.”
Three photographs of the Honour Board of Tasmanian Society of Honorary Justices, located in hallway (Elizabeth Street entrance) Hobart Town Hall. Honour Board presented to Society by Mr F. G. Shepherd, QPM, JP. Historical notes : 1922 - 1994 dates/names confirmed by joint Society and University of Tasmania (History Department) research of available public records. Photo credit. Mr. P. Baker. 12 December, 2000.
Papers relating to the voyage out and settlement of Robert Mather and his wife, Ann (Benson). Many of the papers (Ml0/16-20) consist of extracts from letters from Ann Mather to her brother, Rev. Samuel Benson, and sisters Isabella Whytall and Sarah Benson (m. Hammond 1832), in UK and were probably given to their niece, Sarah Benson Mather who married George Washington Walker in 1840, after Ann Mather's death in 1831.
Sketches, mainly in pencil and crayon, made by Olive Muriel Pink of flowers found in the north of South Australia, Central and North Australia. The majority were made between June and December 1930, at various places along the railway between Port Augusta and Alice Springs. Later sketches were made in various parts of Australia between 1931 and 1960, but often without a note of the place and date. The sketches were often hurriedly made on pieces of thin, cheap paper, or even pieces of cardboard or brown paper. Some were coloured with crayon and a few, more finished drawings were coloured with watercolours. A later donation was made of books, personal belongings and sketches. A second series was received from the family of Olive Pink in 2016, this series includes Olive Pink's book collection, photographs, paintings, letters, items of clothing and other ephemera and memorabilia, some of which are nationally significant in their own right - such as the book plate made by Adrian Feint, notes and sketches done whilst camping with Daisy Bates, and photographs documenting life in Central Australia.
Papers of Margaret Sturge Watts include photo albums of relief work in Central Europe after World War I, an autograph album, visitors books, journals, an unpublished autobiography, newspaper cuttings and miscellaneous items including the notification and congratulatory letters for Margaret Watts' MBE in 1957 for her work in the 'assimiliation of new settlers.'
Collection consists of some of the papers of John Leake (1780-1865) of Rosedale, near Campbell Town, pastoralist, justice of the peace, member of the Legislative Council and a former merchant of Hull and Hamburg, who settled with his family near Campbell Town, Tasmania, in 1823, and of his family, including his youngest son Charles Henry Leake (1819-1889) whose heirs inherited Rosedale.
Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Seal of Tasmanian Council of Education 1859, red wax, lozenge shaped, backed paper: open book "Floreat Tasmania' on diamond pattern, in tin (separate from document). Diploma has decorative border of oak Leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.
Most of the papers consist of notes made about historical queries, a rough draft of his book, and correspondence with East Coast residents and others requesting information. There is also a collection of newspaper cuttings and pamphlets relating to the history of Tasmania, especially the East Coast and some photographs and snapshots. Dr Parker also collected some original historical documents~ chiefly from East Coast families (although those of Dr Storey and the Cotton families have now been returned to the Cotton archives (ref. C.7). Dr Parker's collection of Walch's Almanacs has been supplemented by others received from Walch's and is kept up to date and now forms a complete record set for Walch's records (kept for reference in the Archives Reading Room). Some early newspapers (including Colonial Times, Southern Cross, Launceston Courier) were transferred to the State Archives to fill gaps in their collection .
Collection consists of personal and business correspondence, financial records, scrapbook and cuttings scripts of broadcasts, stories and plays. Theatre programs, photographs and pins and badges. There is also material collected by Francis Ruby Fuller and Edwin Charles Fuller
Handwritten documents recording fish caught at the Great Lake, Tasmania by Sir Robert George Crookshank Hamilton and party in the periods 22-27 March 1890 and 19-24 March 1891, giving number and weight of fish caught.
Collection consists of corresspondence recieved, and draft correspondence. Also includes Library Associations, personal records, university lecture notes and papers relating to the University Library. Notes and drafts of publications and lectures and photographs
Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts, awarded to Mary Friend Whitney Canaway of Hobart, by the Tasmanian Council of Education dated 17th October 1878. Includes wafer seal. Examined and passed in the following subjects. English with credit, French with credit, German, Italian with credit and Mathematics with credit. Mary Friend Whitney Canaway has been awarded the Councils first prize for English and the Councils first prize for Italian. Diploma has decorative border of oak leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.
Two handwritten letters addressed to William Dean. One letter has engraving of Hobsons Bay and Williams Town, Port Phillip. HAM brothers, Engravers. Published by John Hunter, Elizabeth Street, Melbourne
Papers of A.I. Clark sr. include letters received from friends and colleagues, including American lawyers, a few papers relating to his legal practice, letters of appointment to political offices, papers relating to Australian federation and the Australian constitution and drafts of essays, speeches or articles on law, politics, philosophy and religion. Papers of A.I. Clark jr. include correspondence while serving in the army 1915 - 1919, correspondence with family and friends and family photographs, correspondence relating to his law practice and notes and articles on law, and notes on Tasmanian statutes and minutes of the editorial board on reprinting the Tasmanian Statutes (1935).
Militia substitute certificate dated December 1814. Certificate of enrolment of substitute to serve in place of A. Gatenby, Appleton le Moors, North Riding of Yorkshire, namely Robert Graystock, wheelwright. Until the 19th century militia units were used in home defence and maintaining law and order in vulnerable locations such as Ireland and the south coast of England. Militia units did not have to serve overseas, but they were seen as a useful reserve of trained men. Bounties were offered to militiamen who exchanged into the regular Army for overseas service. Many of the men serving in the militia were substitutes serving on behalf of those whose names had been drawn in the county ballot. These substitutes often made a charge for taking over the duties. When the militia was fully embodied on a permanent footing during periods of war, a higher figure could be demanded and obtained. The regiment benefited by receiving experienced soldiers instead of raw recruits.
Collection consists of correspondence concerning wool shipment and an illustrated booklet compiled by C.B. Thomson and issued to celebrate the firms centenary entitled Alfred Harrap & Son Pty Ltd 1857 - 1957