Showing 17 results

Archival description
Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections University of Tasmania -- Domain House
Print preview View:

12 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Annual Report of the High School of Hobart Town

High School of Hobart Town report on the 1859 annual examinations, with copies of examination papers, and list of council and masters. Drawing of building at front. Printed pamphlet J. Davies 'Mercury' office.

High School of Hobart Town

Domain House Staff

Black and white, 35mm slide of teaching staff at Domain House, Hobart, Tasmania. Centre back Dugald Gordon McDougall, appointed as the Professor of Law and Modern History in the University of Tasmania and took up the appointment in the year 1901 (January); he held the post until June 1933 when, at an age of 65, he retired.

High School of Hobart Town

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC H8
  • Collection
  • 1849-1859

Collection consists of reports of council and an annual report.

John Lillie

High School of Hobart Town : ledger book

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC DX11
  • Collection
  • 1850-51

Leather bound folio ledger book dated 1850-1851. Accounts for tuition, textbooks (sometimes named), stationery and extras, each account headed by the name of the parent noting place of residence and whether a shareholder. At the back of the volume are quarterly abstracts of accounts and accounts of fees for evening classes in Mathematics and Natural Philosophy including a list of names of those attending

John Lillie

Registrar, James Henry Robert Cruickshank and his wife Mary

Black and white, 35mm slide of the University of Tasmania's Registrar, James Henry Robrert Cruickshank and his wife Mary.
Cruickshank was born on 24 May 1840 in Bombay, and he died on 26 January 1916 m Hobart. Cruickshank received his first commission in 1858, and served in the Bombay Presidency until he retired in 1885 when he immigrated to Tasmania, as one of the 'Non-Effective Officers . Cruickshank and his family arrived in Launceston on the Flinders on 15 May 1885.36 He was appointed Registrar of the University of Tasmania in succession to George Richardson on the 1 August 1892, and he held this post until his death on 26 January 1916. Cruickshank was given a land grant of 100 acres in the Parish of Wickham in the County of King Island on 13 June 1885 but he did not settle there. He had married Mary Emma Wright in 1865 in Bombay. Mary Emma was born on 24 May 1846 in Rochester Kent, and she died on 17 October 1940 at 'Burnside' Glenorchy Tasmania. The couple had nine children, the youngest of whom was Margaret Winifred Cruickshank. Margaret was born on 12 July 1888 in Hobart, and she died on 4 March 1980 in Hobart. She was married to Percy Hamilton Scott in 1922 in Hobart. Two years before her death Margaret was interviewed by John Roberts, as part of the University of Tasmania oral history recording program. Margaret told of her early life in the 1900s as the daughter of the Registrar of the new university. Her reminiscences are particularly valuable, as they provide a rare window into the early life of the university: interview available here https://sparc.utas.edu.au/index.php/interview-with-mrs-margaret-scott

Sarah Dunbabin

Black and white 35mm slides of Sarah Dunbabin an early graduate of the University of Tasmania. B.A. March 1909 & M.A. April 1912. One of 11 chidren of Thomas Dunbabin, farmer, and his wife Sarah Ada, née Murdoch of Marchwiel, Bream Creek. Prior to entering university she won prizes for English, Latin, History & German and a scholarship to the University.