Black-and-white photograph shows Sandy Bay Road, with tram tracks on riverside of road, electric wires for Hobart Electric Tramway, carriage wheelmarks in the unpaved road surface, electricity transmission wires strung from poles mounted with porcelain insulators
Black-and-white photograph shows stone buildings along Salamanca Place, timber stacked on New Wharf and masts of ships docked at the wharf; signs on buildings for “A.E. Lord Wool Merchant” and “W.D. Peacock and Co.”, historic home Lenna and eastern conservatory visible on hilltop behind towards Battery Point; maritime signal station with the Time Ball that was dropped automatically at 1pm, after a relayed telegraph signal from the Melbourne Observatory.
Black-and-white photograph taken looking north along Gun Carriage Drive towards Government House, Hobart, with post-and-rail fences on Derwent River side; a horse harnessed to a four-wheel carriage, is on the left of the road; a small jetty extends from the shoreline and a boat is visible through the trees, anchored just off shore.
Black-and-white photograph shows elevated view of ruined church at Port Arthur, including charred timber roof framework; with view of waterfront and other buildings on Port Arthur site; cut hay is drying in paddock at front of church.
Black-and-white photograph shows ruins of the church at Port Arthur, damaged by fire in 1884,with charred timber framework in the roof, remnant shingles on the roof and climbing plants covering the sandstone of the church walls. Handwritten words “Church at Port Arthur” in lower left corner of image.
Black-and-white photograph taken from elevated point on Queen’s Domain, looking north up Derwent River towards Cornelian Bay and New Town Bay; Risdon Park Racecourse (1880s-1926) at New Town in foreground, early burial plots in headland of Cornelian Bay Cemetery at right of picture.
Black-and-white photograph depicts Miller’s Corner on the intersection of Liverpool Street and Murray streets, Hobart, looking towards waterfront down Murray Street. A.P. Miller, dispensing chemist, died 1904
Black-and-white photograph shows men, women and children stripping hop cones into hessian-covered troughs, carrying baskets and sacks of harvested hops on the extensive hop grounds. The plant was cultivated widely at Glenorchy, Margate, Kingston and the Upper Derwent Valley area.
Black-and-white photograph shows Hobart General Post Office viewed from Franklin Park. Words “G.P.O., HOBART, FROM FRANKLIN PARK” and “V6” are typewritten in black on white reverse panel at bottom of photograph
Black-and-white photograph shows waves lapping shoreline of Derwent River in foreground, with Government House on the hill, surrounded by mature trees, tall picket fence runs parallel with river, two wires strung between poles, visible through trees
Black-and-white photograph shows path to near base of waterfall in foothills of Mount Wellington, two men standing near a barrel beside a metal mesh and barbed wire fence and a padlocked gate barring access to the stream
Colour photograph shows construction of Tasman Bridge, from Derwent River’s Eastern Shore. Shows spans of Tasman Bridge almost completed from Eastern Shore, temporary floating Hobart Bridge upstream of new multi-lane road bridge; snow on Mount Wellington in background. Printing or scanning error in photograph/slide shows coloured lines horizontally through. photograph.
Colour photograph shows a woman seated on park bench outside main house at Brickendon, historic 465ha estate established and farmed by William Archer and descendants since 1824, who invited tourists to their property from the late 20th century.
Colour photograph shows two sightseers, man with camera hanging on strap around his neck and gloved woman carrying handbag, outside main house at Brickendon, historic 465ha estate established and farmed by William Archer and descendants since 1824, who invited tourists to their property from the late 20th century.
Colour photograph of ferry pier at bottom of Murray Street, Hobart, departure point for the Bellerive ferry; cargo and passenger ships docked at nearby Princes Wharf, including the steamer Orsova; sign advertising Cascade Ale on the Customs House Hotel.
Colour photograph of Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens at Queens Domain, Hobart; depicts garden beds, lawns and Derwent River, looking towards Selfs Point Jetty and petroleum storage tanks at Selfs Point.
Colour photograph of beach, rocks and paddocks leading to shore at Boat Harbour, west of Wynyard, looking out to sea. Photograph taken north-west over Boat Harbour Beach, also known as Jacobs Boat Harbour.
Colour photograph of black locomotive, shunting a rail car in unidentified rail yard, boiler design has a light, a low-profile front funnel, then two steam domes atop the centre of the locomotive boiler.
Colour photograph of abandoned farmhouse, with only a rickety timber roof frame, some internal walls and floors, three dormer windows and two orange brick chimneys intact; external brickwork has collapsed entirely into to piles of rubble; mature European trees planted surrounding house; electricity poles erected through property and roadside cutting across hillside shows line of road, possibly Midland Hwy, featuring white guide posts. Photograph file is named Bishton, possibly referring to Bishton Creek, near Jericho.
Colour photograph of three steam engines in Best’s yard, Devonport, taken 1959; depicts three steam engines in a clearing in a eucalyptus bush setting with pile of scrap timber suitable for fuel and green motor vehicle.
Colour photograph of stone house at Bellerive, rendered or painted white, with flowers in bloom in front garden, in front of verandah, house old tin roof, on corner block, street pillar for PMG telephone cabling near letterbox
Colour photograph of beam engine in Hobart, purportedly the oldest McNaught Beam Engine in existence, originally built 1854 in Paisley Scotland, by A.W. Smith and used by Risby’s Sawmill in Hobart until 1955; photograph taken at Moonah public works depot 1967