Showing 24 results

Archival description
Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections Tasmania Quakers -- Tasmania -- History
Print preview View:

1 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Port Davey

Photograph taken of Port Davey, South West Tasmania landing from a boat, dated 28th August 1898

James Backhouse Walker

Sarah Island

Photograph of Sarah Island, convict settlement. Photographed "from a watercolour in the possession of James B Walker, made by a prisoner at the settlement and given to George Washington Walker on his visit
there in the year 1832" (endorsed ms by? J B Walker)

James Backhouse Walker


Photograph of the town of Waratah, Tasmania (visited by J B Walker 1887) c1878-88

James Backhouse Walker


Photograph thought to be the town of Gormanston c1885-90

James Backhouse Walker

Mount Bischoff

Photograph of the Mount Bischoff in the early days, undated but thought to be c1885-1890

James Backhouse Walker

Friends' Meeting House, Murray Street

Photograph titled First Friends' Meeting House: The first Quaker Meeting House in Hobart. A cottage at 39 Murray Street which was bought by James Backhouse in 1837 with a loan from Meeting for Sufferings, London. The cost was £400 including alterations. Shows Mr Cheverton and Mr Shields and uniformed police constable in front, Holy Trinity Church on hill in background. From 12 February 1832 the visiting Quakers James Backhouse and George Washington Walker held periods of worship in the Quaker manner and others sought leave to join them. These included ex-English Friends who had been transported, some of whom were still prisoners, other convicts and ‘locals’, together with four current members. The gatherings were held in private homes and various rented rooms. The Hobart Meeting began in 1833 when the first Meeting for Discipline was held on 20 September 1833 at the home of Thomas Crouch, Bathurst Street. Members present were Thomas Squire, Ann Pollard (minor), James Backhouse and George Washington Walker. Photograph (mounted) J. Bishop, Osborne (& copy neg)

George Musgrave Parker

St. John's burial ground

Photograph of St. John's burial ground, church in distance (with steeple) Richmond, Tasmania

James Backhouse Walker

Bothwell township

Photograph of a distant view of Bothwell, Tasmania. Stamped on back "Wilkinson Chemist, Hobart Town), and ms. "Bothwell Township, Tasmania, J B W".

James Backhouse Walker

Cataract Gorge, Launceston

Photograph of Launceston, Cataract Gorge, with railed walkway, glossy print numbered 35 and stamped D'Emden

James Backhouse Walker

Launceston, Cataract Gorge

Photograph of Launceston, Cataract Gorge, with railed walkway, glossy print numbered 49 and stamped D'Emden

James Backhouse Walker

People's Park, Strahan

Photograph of People's Park Strahan, initialed "J M W". Glossy print, amateurishly mounted

James Backhouse Walker

View from West Hobart

Mounted photograph of a view of Hobart from West Hobart, showing the tower of old St. David's Cathedral

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart from the river

Photograph of Hobart harbor and mountain (snow topped) from river, showing sailing ships, steam ferries. Glossy print, on "cabinet" mount, T. Crawford, Hobart.

James Backhouse Walker

Stone house

Photograph of stone house, two storied, pillared front entrance with double steps, apron clad servants standing on steps.

James Backhouse Walker