Showing 1107 results

Archival description
Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections With digital objects
Print preview View:

Apsley house

Photograph of Apsley House. Originally a single storey sandstone Georgian house built in the 1840's on land granted to John Lyne who was MHA for Glamorgan in the period 1843-1865. Small kodak prints. ?G.M.P photographer thought to be taken c1920's - (See also book ch.3, P1/35 (262)

George Musgrave Parker

Milton: old house, stone on north side

1 photograph of stone inscribed - J A 1828. Photograph thought to have been taken in the 1930's by G.M.P. of the rebuilt Milton Farm house. In 1826, young John Allen applied for and received a grant of land on Tasmania's east coast: four hundred acres on the west bank of Cygnet River. He named the property Milton, after his home village in England. In February 1828, he reaped his first harvest, but in that same month, an Aboriginal raiding party attacked the (undefended) property, after previously harassing Allen's neighbours John Lyne and George Meredith. Allen's house was robbed and torched and his wheat stack burnt; damage was estimated at £300. Subsequently awarded a two hundred acre extension to his land grant 'as a remuneration for the Aforesaid Loss', he set to work rebuilding, this time a two-storey house of stone.

George Musgrave Parker

Milton

Photograph thought to have been taken in the 1930's by G.M.P. of the rebuilt Milton Farm house. In 1826, young John Allen applied for and received a grant of land on Tasmania's east coast: four hundred acres on the west bank of Cygnet River. He named the property Milton, after his home village in England. In February 1828, he reaped his first harvest, but in that same month, an Aboriginal raiding party attacked the (undefended) property, after previously harassing Allen's neighbours John Lyne and George Meredith. Allen's house was robbed and torched and his wheat stack burnt; damage was estimated at £300. Subsequently awarded a two hundred acre extension to his land grant 'as a remuneration for the Aforesaid Loss', he set to work rebuilding, this time a two-storey house of stone.

George Musgrave Parker

Milton: the residence of J. Allen

Photograph, thought to have been taken in the 1930's, of the rebuilt Milton Farm house. In 1826, young John Allen applied for and received a grant of land on Tasmania's east coast: four hundred acres on the west bank of Cygnet River. He named the property Milton, after his home village in England. In February 1828, he reaped his first harvest, but in that same month, an Aboriginal raiding party attacked the (undefended) property, after previously harassing Allen's neighbours John Lyne and George Meredith. Allen's house was robbed and torched and his wheat stack burnt; damage was estimated at £300. Subsequently awarded a two hundred acre extension to his land grant 'as a remuneration for the Aforesaid Loss', he set to work rebuilding, this time a two-storey house of stone.

George Musgrave Parker

Milton: the residence of J. Allen

Photograph, thought to have been taken in the 1930's, of the rear of the rebuilt Milton Farm house. In 1826, young John Allen applied for and received a grant of land on Tasmania's east coast: four hundred acres on the west bank of Cygnet River. He named the property Milton, after his home village in England. In February 1828, he reaped his first harvest, but in that same month, an Aboriginal raiding party attacked the (undefended) property, after previously harassing Allen's neighbours John Lyne and George Meredith. Allen's house was robbed and torched and his wheat stack burnt; damage was estimated at £300. Subsequently awarded a two hundred acre extension to his land grant 'as a remuneration for the Aforesaid Loss', he set to work rebuilding, this time a two-storey house of stone

George Musgrave Parker

Glen Gala House: brick house, croquet lawn

Photograph of Glen Gala House at Cranbrook. Adam Amos arrived in March 1821 in the Emerald along with George Meredith, and was advised to look for land on the unsettled east coast. Adam's capital entitled him to a grant of 1000 acres (405 ha) which he located on the Swan River at Cranbrook, and called Gala. Glen Gala is a two storey brick Victorian Georgian house constructed in 1860 on the original grant to Adam Amos

George Musgrave Parker

Malunnah

Photograph of Malunnah at Orford, Tasmania. Built by writer & artist Louisa Anne Meredith and her husband Charles. The Merediths lived at the house from 1868 until 1888. This photograph was taken by Miss F.M. Kennedy of Swansea

George Musgrave Parker

Harbottle's cottage at Swansea

Postcard produced by Swansea photographer, Miss F.M. Kennedy, (c1880-c1950s) of titled Harbottle's at Swansea, Tasmania.
This Cottage has also been know as Harbottle's Cottage and Caulfield Cottage. This single storey, sandstone rubble building with a corrugated iron hipped roof was listed by the National Trust in 1976 as it demonstrated the principal characteristics of a single storey, sandstone Victorian Georgian domestic building . Located at 45 Shaw Street, Swansea, Tasmania

George Musgrave Parker

Bluff Cottage, formerly known as Harbottle's Cottage and Caulfield Cottage

Photograph of Bluff Cottage, formerly known as Harbottle's Cottage and Caulfield Cottage. This single storey, sandstone rubble building with a corrugated iron hipped roof was listed by the National Trust in 1976 as it demonstrated the principal characteristics of a single storey, sandstone Victorian Georgian domestic building . Located at 45 Shaw Street, Swansea, Tasmania

George Musgrave Parker

Apslawn House

Photograph of side view of Apslawn House. A sandstone Georgian house built in the 1840's on 640 acres of land granted to John Lyne, MHA for Glamorgan ,1843-1865. Located on the Tasman Highway, Apslawn, 13km south-west of Bicheno.

George Musgrave Parker

Apslawn House

Photograph of front view of Apslawn House. A sandstone Georgian house built in the 1840's on 640 acres of land granted to John Lyne, MHA for Glamorgan ,1843-1865. Located on the Tasman Highway, Apslawn, 13km south-west of Bicheno.

George Musgrave Parker

Apsley Log Cabin

Photograph of Apsley original log cabin dating from 1826 on the property granted to William Lyne by Governor Arthur on order from Lord Apsley, eldest son of Lord Bathurst. Copy made by J.W. Beattie of an original of J. Lyne

George Musgrave Parker

Friends' Meeting House, Murray Street

Photograph titled First Friends' Meeting House: The first Quaker Meeting House in Hobart. A cottage at 39 Murray Street which was bought by James Backhouse in 1837 with a loan from Meeting for Sufferings, London. The cost was £400 including alterations. Shows Mr Cheverton and Mr Shields and uniformed police constable in front, Holy Trinity Church on hill in background. From 12 February 1832 the visiting Quakers James Backhouse and George Washington Walker held periods of worship in the Quaker manner and others sought leave to join them. These included ex-English Friends who had been transported, some of whom were still prisoners, other convicts and ‘locals’, together with four current members. The gatherings were held in private homes and various rented rooms. The Hobart Meeting began in 1833 when the first Meeting for Discipline was held on 20 September 1833 at the home of Thomas Crouch, Bathurst Street. Members present were Thomas Squire, Ann Pollard (minor), James Backhouse and George Washington Walker. Photograph (mounted) J. Bishop, Osborne (& copy neg)

George Musgrave Parker

Olive Pink Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC P6
  • Collection
  • 1931 -1973

Sketches, mainly in pencil and crayon, made by Olive Muriel Pink of flowers found in the north of South Australia, Central and North Australia. The majority were made between June and December 1930, at various places along the railway between Port Augusta and Alice Springs. Later sketches were made in various parts of Australia between 1931 and 1960, but often without a note of the place and date. The sketches were often hurriedly made on pieces of thin, cheap paper, or even pieces of cardboard or brown paper. Some were coloured with crayon and a few, more finished drawings were coloured with watercolours. A later donation was made of books, personal belongings and sketches. A second series was received from the family of Olive Pink in 2016, this series includes Olive Pink's book collection, photographs, paintings, letters, items of clothing and other ephemera and memorabilia, some of which are nationally significant in their own right - such as the book plate made by Adrian Feint, notes and sketches done whilst camping with Daisy Bates, and photographs documenting life in Central Australia.

Olive Pink

Acacia salicina

Coloured pencil drawing sketched by Olive Pink, Beltana, South Australia 17/7/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Acacia salicina

Olive Pink

Portulaca oleracea

Pencil drawing sketched by Olive Pink at Beltana, South Australia 18/7/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Portulaca oleracea

Olive Pink

Eremophila maculata

Watercolour painted by Olive Pink at Beltana, South Australia 19/7/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Eremophila maculata

Olive Pink

Loranthus exocarpi

Water colour on paper painted by Olive Pink at Beltana, South Australia, 19/7/30 Identified by Olive Pink as Loranthus exocarpi

Olive Pink

Fusanus acuminatum

Water colour on card painted by Olive Pink at Beltana, South Australia, 19/7/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Fusanus acuminatum - Quandong (Santulum acuminatum)

Olive Pink

Loranthus exocarpi

Coloured pencil sketched by Olive Pink, Warraweena, Beltana, South Australia 19/7/30 Identified by Olive Pink as Mistletoe Berry - Loranthus exocarpi

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Pencil drawing sketched by Olive Pink, Beltana, South Australia 19/7/30.

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Coloured pencil drawing sketched by Olive Pink - Warraweena, Beltana, South Australia 19/7/30.

Olive Pink

Results 201 to 300 of 1107