Mostrar 410 resultados

Descrição arquivística
Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections Sub-item Com objeto digital
Previsualizar a impressão Ver:

Lindisfarne Jetty

Photograph of Beltana or Lindisfarne jetty showing two young children playing in the foreground. Mt Wellington in the background.

Obituaries of George Washington Walker, Tasmania

Newspaper obituaries of George Washington Walker including a letter to the editor of 'The Christian Times' by James Bonwick. From Walker Family Scrapbook compiled by Peter Benson Walker. Private collection.

George Washington Walker

Letter : Ann Mather to her sons

Letter from Ann Mather to her sons who were attending James Thompson's school, Hobart on the present site of Pressland House. Reproduced in Appendix A of 'All that we Inherit' by Peter Benson Walker. From Walker Family Scrapbook compiled by Peter Benson Walker. Private collection.. Page 17

Ann Mather

Letter : Mary Mather to her brother Robert

Letter from Mary Mather in London to her brother Robert in Van Diemen's Land dated 23 September 1830. From Walker Family Scrapbook compiled by Peter Benson Walker. Private collection. Page 20

Robert Mather

Letters : Ann Mather to her husband Robert Mather

Three letters dated April 9th 1828, June 19th 1828 & July 15th 1828 from Ann Mather to her husband Robert Mather revealing the care and concern for her children. She lived at Lauderdale supervising the farm workmen, and the children lived in Hobart Town with their father. From Walker Family Scrapbook compiled by Peter Benson Walker. Private collection. Page 20

Robert Mather

John Walker's gravestone and biography

Image of the grave of John Walker in the cemetery of Pere-la-Chaise, Paris. Biographical information about John Walker, the father of George Washington Walker - the youngest of 22 children from John's two marriages. From Walker Family Scrapbook compiled by Peter Benson Walker. Private collection. Page 5

John Walker

Letter from John Benson to his sister Ann

Letter from John Benson, second son of the Reverend Joseph Benson to his sister Ann mentioning her work as her father's amanuensis for his well known "Commentary on the Bible" to which he devoted 9 continuous years labour. John Benson took Orders and became the rector of Norton-sub-Hamdon, Somerset. From Walker Family Scrapbook compiled by Peter Benson Walker. Private collection. Page 6

John Benson

Image of the Rev. Joseph Benson

Image of the Rev. Joseph Benson (1748-1821) husband of Sarah and father of Ann who married Robert Mather. Inscription on the tombstone of Joseph and Sarah. From Walker Family Scrapbook compiled by Peter Benson Walker. Private collection. Page 4

Joseph Benson

Letter from Joseph Benson to John Wesley

Letter from Joseph Benson (1748-1821) to John Wesley. Includes transcript. From Walker Family Scrapbook compiled by Peter Benson Walker. Private collection. Page 5

Joseph Benson

Note written by Rev. Joseph Benson to his son John

Copy of note written by the Rev. Joseph Benson for his son John advising of the marriage of Ann to Robert Mather. From Walker Family Scrapbook compiled by Peter Benson Walker. Private collection. Page 6

Joseph Benson

Land grant map of Lauderdale

Land grant map including Robert Mather's free grant of 1,500 acres, eventually to be increased to 2,500 acres. He called the property 'Lauderdale'. From Walker Family Scrapbook compiled by Peter Benson Walker. Private collection. Page 16

Joseph Benson

Wedding cards

Two wedding cards, one smaller, inscribed Mr & Mrs W.E. Shoobridge in envelope addressed Mrs Walker. On verso of envelope flap written nee Annie B Mather.

Hobart view

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Hobart viewing over St. Davids Park, probably from Hampden Road, (in about 1878 according to a note on the reverse). The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

.

James Backhouse Walker

Photograph of the Oddfellows Hall

Photograph of Davey Street, Hobart, looking east, in about 1876. The photograph is taken from the intersection with Harrington Street and Oddfellows Hall is in the foreground. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918

St. Mary's Cathedral

Photograph of St. Mary's Cathedral in Harrington Street in about 1870. Henry Hall Baily is the photographer. He had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Presslands House

Photograph of Pressland House, formerly J.P. Cowle's School, in 1881. (from notes by J. B. Walker on back of photograph) The building has a sign on the front which reads 'These premises for sale'. (see detail). During the 1840s Pressland House was the home of Mr Cowle's 'Hobart Town Classical and Commercial Academy'. (Craig, Clifford 'More old Tasmanian Prints', Launceston, Foot and Playsted, 1984 p.312). Photographer: A. Winter, Hobart Town - embossed on bottom left corner of photograph - (Alfred Winter had a photographic studio in Bathurst Street, Hobart from 1869-1891).

Alfred Winter

The Tasmanian Club, Macquarie Street, Hobart

Photograph of the Tasmanian Club formally the Derwent Bank, and Walch's building with a landau outside. The Tasmanian Club is a Georgian style building designed by architect James Alexander Thomson and built in 1846 for banker and merchant Captain Charles Swanston as the Derwent Bank. After the depression of the 1840's the Bank went into liquidation and the building was bought by the Tasmania Club in April 1873 and is still their residence today. The Tasmanian Club was established in 1861 in Hobart by seventy gentlemen. It was founded on the 'London pattern', that is, election or exclusion of candidates by ballot. The photographers are Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

St. Joseph's Catholic Church

Photograph of Macquarie Street Hobart including St. Joseph's Catholic Church c. 1870. The view is looking west. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Eastern end of Macquarie Street

Photograph of the eastern end of Macquarie Street showing the trees on the edge of Franklin Square and horse drawn carriages.

Photograph of electric tram car

Photograph of an electric tram car in Hobart, about 1893, thought to be travelling along Macquarie Street. Advertising Lester Brothers Family Grocers. Wertheim sewing machines, Pear's soap, Cascade ale & J.W. Beattie, Photographer.

Public buildings in Macquarie Street

Photograph of public buildings in Macquarie Street, Hobart opposite St. Davids Cathedral site, corner Collins Street c. 1876. Mail coach is in front of the Post Office.

Liverpool Street Hobart with horse drawn carriages

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart taken around the turn of the century showing horse drawn carriages in the foreground. The date is assumed from the presence of electric power poles which were introduced in 1898.

Cherry's Carlton Club Hotel

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart at the intersection of Argyle Street looking towards West Hobart, taken around the turn of the century showing Cherry's Carlton Club Hotel in the foreground. Also J. Whiteside & Son Furnishing Warehouse and Canes Iron mongers. The date is assumed from the presence of electric power poles which were introduced in 1898.

Liverpool Street Hobart

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart at the intersection of Elizabeth Street. Show gas lighting taken about 1870. The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Liverpool Street Hobart

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart taken from just before the Elizabeth Street intersection around the turn of the century with horse drawn carriages in the foreground. The date is assumed from the presence of electric power poles which were introduced in 1898.

Elizabeth Street looking toward Memorial Congregational Church

Photograph of Elizabeth Street Hobart looking north in about 1879. Legrands old shop is on the right and the old post offfice and Ship hotel are also visible according to notes on the reverse of the photo. Also shown is the Tasmanian pale ales store and the All Nations hotelThe photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Ship Inn

Photograph of the Ship Inn on the corner of Elizabeth and Collins Streets, Hobart. In 1881 the proprietor was Mr J. C. Hadley . The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

St. John's Street, Launceston

Photograph of St. John's Street, Launceston with St. John's Anglican Church and Chalmers Free Presbyterian Church on opposite sides of the street. The photographer was William Cawston who had studios in Paterson and St. John Streets, Launceston from 1863-1891.

William Cawston

Launceston Town Hall

Photograph of the Town Hall in Launceston, Tasmania. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Launceston from Windmill Hill

Photograph of Launceston from Windmill Hill looking north taken in c1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Cook's Monument, Fern Tree Bower

Photographs of Cook's Monument, Fern Tree Bower, Mount Wellington. Memorial stones commemorate Mayor Henry Cook and the Hobart Town Corporation Waterworks erected in 1861.

James Backhouse Walker

Port Arthur from behind the church

Photograph of Port Arthur from behind the church with ship in the harbour, taken by Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Fluted Cape, Adventure Bay

Photograph of Fluted Cape, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, Tasmania. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918

Henry Hall Baily

View from the Botanical Gardens

Photograph of view from the Botanical Gardens, Hobart, Tasmania in about 1880. Three Norfolk Island pines dominate the foreground and the view looks out to the River Derwent and Eastern Shore. The photographers were Anson Brothers, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Sullivans Cove

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Sullivan's Cove in about 1870 according to a note on the reverse. Taken from around Victoria Dock, Old St David's cathedral in background. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Hobart Regatta

Photograph of the Hobart Regatta taken in 1886. The photographer was Albert Sargeant who had studios in Macquarie Street, Hobart from 1886-1890 and George Street, Launceston from 1900-1913

Albert Sargeant

Hobart Regatta Grandstand from the water

Photograph of the Hobart Regatta grandstand taken from the water in 1886. The photographer was Albert Sargeant who had studios in Macquarie Street, Hobart, Tasmania from 1886-1890 and George Street, Launceston, Tasmania from 1900-1913.

Albert Sargeant

Old University building

Photograph of the old University building (Domain House) on Queen's Domain, Hobart, Tasmania, c. 1890s.

New Town from Swan Hill

Photograph of New Town, Tasmania in the snow from Russell Young's Beaulieu (Swans Hill) taken on the morning of 16th June 1882. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

New Town Creek, old mill

Photograph of Old Mill at New Town Creek showing creek, buildings and mill wheel in disrepair. Mt Wellington in distance

James Backhouse Walker

Derwentwater, Sandy Bay

Photograph of Derwentwater, Sandy Bay, Tasmania, home of Captain Langdon Swan, c.1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Mount Wellington

Photograph of Mount Wellington with farm buildings in the foreground in the vicinity of the Cascades Brewery, Hobart, Tasmania.

Anson Brothers

Cascade Brewery

Photograph of the Cascade Brewery buildings from behind, Hobart, Tasmania. The photographers were Anson Brothers whose studios were located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Kangaroo Bay

Photograph of Kangaroo Bay (Bellerive) on Hobart's Eastern Shore from hill showing wharf and houses c. 1882. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Kangaroo Bay

Photograph of Kangaroo Point (Bellerive) Beach on Hobart's Eastern Shore looking toward settlement c. 1882. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Old Government House

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of old Government House, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land 1847. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Port Arthur

Lantern slide of Port Arthur 1839. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town Gazette

Lantern slide of front page of the Hobart Town Gazette, June 1816. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of the death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Runnymede, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Runnymede, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town from Mulgrave Battery, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Hobart Town from Mulgrave Battery, Van Diemen's Land, in 1830. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

J. Walch and Sons

Lantern slide of J. Walch and Sons, Macquarie Street, Hobart c1880. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Solomon Islander making fire

Lantern slide of Solomon Islander making fire. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

St. David's Park, Davey Street, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of St. David's Park, Davey Street, Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994. Quaker Collection.

John Watt Beattie

Education and Convict labour

Letter from Francis Cotton to George Washington Walker dated 4 September 1852 about education, Kelvedon, Tasmania

Francis Cotton

Pledge of total abstinence : Augustus Carp

Pledge of total abstinence signed by Augustus Carp of the Dr. Syntax Hotel. The pledge is authorised by the Van Diemen's Land Total Abstinence Society of which George Washington Walker is the registrar.

Tasmanian Aboriginal woman and child

Lantern slide of Tasmanian aboriginal woman and child 'after Labillardiere'. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994

John Watt Beattie

Exterior of physical laboratory, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Interior of chemistry laboratory, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Wood's hut, the Springs, Mount Wellington, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide of Wood's hut, the Springs, Mount Wellington, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Wybalena, Flinders Island

Lantern slide of Wybalena, Flinders Island. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Buildings, early Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of buildings in early Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Early Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of early Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land from the harbour. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994. Quaker Collection.

John Watt Beattie

House, Hunter Street, Hobart, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of house in Hunter Street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Streetscape, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a streetscape in Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Resultados 101 a 200 de 410