Showing 157 results

Archival description
Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections Walker Family Papers With digital objects
Print preview View:

Marriage

Marriage certificate of George Washington Walker and Sarah Benson Mather, married at Friends Meeting House, Hobart. Dated 15th December 1840. Witnessed and signed by many of the respectable inhabitants of the colony

George Washington Walker

Letter to Philip Smith

Letter to Philip Smith, Hobart Town, regarding the committee of the Temperance Society and the importation of intoxicating drink

George Washington Walker

Letter from Bicheno, Colonial Secretary's office

Letter dated 30th November 1850 from the Colonial Secretary's office signed by James Ebenezer Bicheno regarding a grant of land at the south end of Collins Street Hobart to the Total Abstinence Society.

George Washington Walker

Plan for the advocacy of the Total Abstinence Society cause

List of gentleman and proposed dates for the plan for the advocacy of the Total Abstinence Society cause in connection with the V.D. Land T.A Society at the Prisoners Barracks, Hobart Town up to December 1851 on the second Friday evening in the month at 7 o’clock

George Washington Walker

Memorandum

Memorandum regarding the location and the construction of the Temperance Hall at the end of Murry and Davey Street, Hobart dated 1854 and signed George Washington Walker

George Washington Walker

Minutes of meeting

Minutes of an overflow meeting held in promotion of National Temperance in the Infant School Room, Murray street on the evening of Thursday 6th July 1854. Address delivered by David Blair on the important subject of "National Temperance". George W Walker in the chair.

George Washington Walker

Copy of circular addressed to candidates at elections

Copy of circular addressed to candidates at elections. Letter to Arthur Perry (Member of the Legislative Council) dated 5 March 1855 from the committee of the Tasmanian Temperance and Total Abstinence Association bringing to his consideration the very demoralising effect of treating Electors with intoxicating drinks and the vile system of supplying the means of drunkenness and debauchery at elections

George Washington Walker

Circular addressed to licenced victuallers

Copy of circular, dated 1855, Hobart Town, addressed to licenced victuallers and others interested in the sale of intoxicating drink advising them of the enclosed petition prepared by the Tasmanian Temperance and Total Abstinence Association to the Legislative Council prohibiting the Sunday traffic in intoxicating liquors.

George Washington Walker

Petition

Copy of an uncompleted petition from the inhabitants of Hobart Town and its vicinity to the Honourable the Legislative Council of Van Diemen's Land. Petitioners therefore pray that the 38th Section of the Licensing Act, commonly known as the " Sunday Clause" may not be repealed.

George Washington Walker

Account

Account with Temperance Alliance rendered 20 May 1857 in account with Geo. W Walker

George Washington Walker

Complaint

Undated complaint by the finance committee of the Hobart Town Total Abstinence Society addressed to Mr J.B. Mather and Mr Geo. Bell, of suffering grievous moral wrong and slander from Geo. W Walker

George Washington Walker

Petition to the Legislative Council

Undated petition to the Legislative Council regarding the act to regulate the sale of liquors being the 38th Section of the Licensing Act, the Sunday Clause not be repealed

George Washington Walker

Donation from Bicheno

Document dated Liverpool 1844, George Walker on behalf of the Total Abstinence Society for the donation of a pound towards funds from James Ebenezer Bicheno

George Washington Walker

Unidentified document

Undated and unsigned document regarding excessive drinking in taverns, ale houses and gin palaces. May be a draft for a magazine.

George Washington Walker

Memorial to the Honourable the Legislative Council of Van Diemen's Land

Petition detailing the large portion of human misery, inculding poverty, disease, and crime induced by the use of alcoholic or fermented liquors and asking that the Council enact a law similar to that now in operation in the State of Maine ; which must, by its natural effect, not only entirely banish intemperance and all its consequent evils from the community, but will remove the oppression with which it weighs upon the moral and physical energies of the people, and be the surest means of promoting their social and domestic happiness, and their advancement in wealth, knowledge, and religion.

George Washington Walker

Pin holder

Cloth and cardboard pin holder in envelope with note "Made by Sarah Benson Walker"

Wedding cards

Two wedding cards, one smaller, inscribed Mr & Mrs W.E. Shoobridge in envelope addressed Mrs Walker. On verso of envelope flap written nee Annie B Mather.

Wedding cards in envelope

Two wedding cards with decorative scalloped edges attached together with metallic beaded clip, one smaller, inscribed Mrs D.F. Jobson and D.F. Jobson in a silver embossed envelope with decorative seal addressed Mr & Mrs G.W. Walker

Mourning card Isabella Mather

Mourning card constructed from heavy card-stock, and made up of an intricate formal design that is cut and embossed. Black margin surrounding card and envelope. Also black bordered printed insert “Lines on the death of Isabella, the beloved wife of Mr John Mather, and second daughter of Mr Abraham Biggs, who departed this life on the 14th June, 1863 aged 30 years and 9 monthe. Her end was peace.

In memoriam Hannah Maria Benson

Folded memorial card with black margins. In loving memory of Hannah Maria, widow of the rev. Samuel Benson M.A. Chaplin of St. Saviour’s Southwark who died February 18th, 1882 aged 73 years. Interred at Norwood Cemetery, grave number 18495

Affectionate remembrance of Sarah Benson Mather

Mourning card and printed texts for Sarah Benson Mather, second daughter of R. Andrew and Ann Mather, who died in Hobart Town, on the 12th of 3rd month ,1875 aged 28 years and 10 months. Sarah Benson Mather passed away in the early morning, just as the cocks began to crow. The text which heads these verses was deeply impressed on the minds around her.

Reminiscences of Sarah Benson Walker

Sarah Benson Walker's reminiscences of her life in Hobart Town as recorded by her son James Backhouse Walker. It includes narrative of the voyage out, and descriptions of Hobart in the very early period, information about Hobart personalities as well as the story of Sarah Benson Walker's life

James Backhouse Walker

Walker Photographs

Photograph collection consists of Walker family photographs and photographs of local Tasmanian scenes. Some unidentified portraits by unknown photographers. Daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, carte de visite, cabinet portraits, stereoscopic views, Hobart streetscapes and Tasmanian scenes

James Backhouse Walker

Photograph of the Oddfellows Hall

Photograph of Davey Street, Hobart, looking east, in about 1876. The photograph is taken from the intersection with Harrington Street and Oddfellows Hall is in the foreground. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918

St. John's Church Goulburn Street

Photograph of St. John's Church Goulburn Street, Hobart taken c1880 the photographers were Anson brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891

Anson Brothers

St. Mary's Cathedral

Photograph of St. Mary's Cathedral in Harrington Street in about 1870. Henry Hall Baily is the photographer. He had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Presslands House

Photograph of Pressland House, formerly J.P. Cowle's School, in 1881. (from notes by J. B. Walker on back of photograph) The building has a sign on the front which reads 'These premises for sale'. (see detail). During the 1840s Pressland House was the home of Mr Cowle's 'Hobart Town Classical and Commercial Academy'. (Craig, Clifford 'More old Tasmanian Prints', Launceston, Foot and Playsted, 1984 p.312). Photographer: A. Winter, Hobart Town - embossed on bottom left corner of photograph - (Alfred Winter had a photographic studio in Bathurst Street, Hobart from 1869-1891).

Alfred Winter

Old St. David's Cathedral

Photograph of old St. David's Cathedral on the corner of Macquarie and Murray Streets, Hobart c. 1870.

John Watt Beattie

Old St. David's Cathedral

Photograph of Macquarie Street, Hobart looking east towards Elizabeth Street from the Civil Court in about 1880. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1880.

Alfred Winter

Bank of Australasia and Macquarie House

Photograph of Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south in about 1870. The Bank of Australasia and Macquarie House are two of the buildings featured. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets between 1865 and 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

The Tasmanian Club, Macquarie Street, Hobart

Photograph of the Tasmanian Club formally the Derwent Bank, and Walch's building with a landau outside. The Tasmanian Club is a Georgian style building designed by architect James Alexander Thomson and built in 1846 for banker and merchant Captain Charles Swanston as the Derwent Bank. After the depression of the 1840's the Bank went into liquidation and the building was bought by the Tasmania Club in April 1873 and is still their residence today. The Tasmanian Club was established in 1861 in Hobart by seventy gentlemen. It was founded on the 'London pattern', that is, election or exclusion of candidates by ballot. The photographers are Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

The Bank of Van Diemen's Land and Hobart Town Hotel

Photograph of Macquarie Street Hobart, looking west in about 1870. The Bank of Van Diemen's Land and Hobart Town Hotel are in the foreground. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets between 1865 and 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

All Saints Church Macquarie Street

Photograph of All Saints Church, Macquarie Street, Hobart c. 1880 by Anson Brothers, Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Public buildings in Macquarie Street

Photograph of public buildings in Macquarie Street, Hobart opposite St. Davids Cathedral site, corner Collins Street c. 1876. Mail coach is in front of the Post Office.

St. Joseph's Catholic Church

Photograph of Macquarie Street Hobart including St. Joseph's Catholic Church c. 1870. The view is looking west. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Macquarie Street, Hobart from Mercury Office

Photograph of north Macquarie Street from the Mercury office (with verandah) corner Macquarie and Argyle Street. Showing the Hobart Town Hall, Franklin Square and the Treasury buildings. Photographed byy Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets. Taken before September 25 1866, as this is the date of the grand opening of the Town Hall, shown on the left-hand side of the photograph

Anson Brothers

Commercial Bank

Photograph of Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south from the corner of Elizabeth Street c. 1870. Some of Franklin Square on left Commercial Bank on right. The photographers were Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Commercial Bank

Photograph of the Commercial Bank, Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south from the corner of Elizabeth Street in c1877 after old St. Davids Cathedral was pulled down. The photograph is attributed to Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Photograph of electric tram car

Photograph of an electric tram car in Hobart, about 1893, thought to be travelling along Macquarie Street. Advertising Lester Brothers Family Grocers. Wertheim sewing machines, Pear's soap, Cascade ale & J.W. Beattie, Photographer.

Liverpool Street Hobart with horse drawn carriages

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart taken around the turn of the century showing horse drawn carriages in the foreground. The date is assumed from the presence of electric power poles which were introduced in 1898.

Cherry's Carlton Club Hotel

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart at the intersection of Argyle Street looking towards West Hobart, taken around the turn of the century showing Cherry's Carlton Club Hotel in the foreground. Also J. Whiteside & Son Furnishing Warehouse and Canes Iron mongers. The date is assumed from the presence of electric power poles which were introduced in 1898.

Liverpool Street Hobart

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart at the intersection of Elizabeth Street. Show gas lighting taken about 1870. The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Liverpool Street Hobart

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart taken from just before the Elizabeth Street intersection around the turn of the century with horse drawn carriages in the foreground. The date is assumed from the presence of electric power poles which were introduced in 1898.

Perkins and Nephew Wholesale & Retail Drapers and Grocers

Photograph of the Emporium of Perkins and Nephew Wholesale & Retail Drapers and Grocers established in 1826, situated on the corner of Watchorn and Liverpool Street Hobart, taken in 1881. The photographers were Anson Brothers Portrait and Landscape Photographers Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Murray Street with horse drawn carriages

Photograph of Murray Street, Hobart in 1881 with a row of horse drawn carriages outside the Hobart Savings Bank, Masonic Temple and the Derwent and Tamar Buildings with Webb's hotel (later Hadley's Orient Hotel) in the distance.

Waterloo House

Photograph of Waterloo House on the corner of Murray and Davey Streets, Hobart, Tasmania in 1880. The photographers were Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Webb's Hotel

Photograph of Webb's Hotel, later Hadley's, Murray Street, Hobart, in about 1877. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart, from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Murray Street, above Liverpool Street intersection

Photograph of Murray Street, taken from above the Liverpool Street intersection, Hobart, in about 1880. Webb's Hotel and Alexander McGregor's house, Lenna, are visible in the distance. Also shows Bishopsbourne Photographic studo; Ready & Mulcahy Drapers & Clothiers; Head and Plowman Baby Linen Warehouse Millinery & Underclothing ; Burgess & Barrett Provision merchants, Tea Dealers ; Bidencope Tailor & Hatter; J. Roberts Billiard & Coffee Saloon

Elizabeth Street looking toward Memorial Congregational Church

Photograph of Elizabeth Street Hobart looking north in about 1879. Legrands old shop is on the right and the old post offfice and Ship hotel are also visible according to notes on the reverse of the photo. Also shown is the Tasmanian pale ales store and the All Nations hotelThe photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Ship Inn

Photograph of the Ship Inn on the corner of Elizabeth and Collins Streets, Hobart in about 1881. The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Ship Inn

Photograph of the Ship Inn on the corner of Elizabeth and Collins Streets, Hobart. In 1881 the proprietor was Mr J. C. Hadley . The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Westella

Photograph of Elizabeth Street, Hobart, looking towards the harbour with Westella and the Memorial Congregational Church in the foreground. Taken prior to The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Cataract Bridge and Launceston

Photograph of Launceston, Tasmania from beyond the Cataract Bridge. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Launceston from beyond Cataract Bridge

Photograph of Launceston, Tasmania, from beyond the Cataract Bridge in about 1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart, from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

On the banks of the Tamar River

Photograph of a family on the banks of the Tamar River, Launceston. The photographer was William Cawston who had studios in Paterson and St. John Streets, Launceston from 1863-1891.

William Cawston

St. John's Street, Launceston

Photograph of St. John's Street, Launceston with St. John's Anglican Church and Chalmers Free Presbyterian Church on opposite sides of the street. The photographer was William Cawston who had studios in Paterson and St. John Streets, Launceston from 1863-1891.

William Cawston

Public Buildings Launceston

Photograph of the Public Buildings in Launceston, Tasmania. The Criterion Hotel is in the background. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

River Tamar from Cataract Hill

Photograph of the River Tamar in Launceston from Cataract Hill. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Launceston Town Hall

Photograph of the Town Hall in Launceston, Tasmania. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Launceston from Windmill Hill

Photograph of Launceston from Windmill Hill looking north taken in c1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Wood's huts

Photograph of Wood's huts at the Springs, Mount Wellington, in 1870 with old couple and younger gentleman and boy sitting outside. On the reverse of the photo post card 'Do you remember them. Huts and old Mr. and Mrs. Wood'.

Rocks on Mount Wellington

Photograph rocks on Mount Wellington. The photographer was Albert Sargeant who had studios in Macquarie Street, Hobart and George Street, Launceston between 1886 and 1913.

Albert Sargeant

Bush Hotel, New Norfolk

Photograph of the Bush Hotel, New Norfolk, Tasmania, 1881. Proprietor at the time was Captain Blockey. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Derwent River above New Norfolk

Photograph of the Derwent River above New Norfolk, Tasmania, 1882. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

New Norfolk

Photograph of New Norfolk, Tasmania, c. 1880 from the opposite side of the River Derwent. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

New Norfolk

Photograph of New Norfolk, Tasmania from the opposite side of the river. Showing the town and bridge.

Henry Hall Baily

Results 1 to 100 of 157