Black-and-white photograph shows stone buildings along Salamanca Place, timber stacked on New Wharf and masts of ships docked at the wharf; signs on buildings for “A.E. Lord Wool Merchant” and “W.D. Peacock and Co.”, historic home Lenna and eastern conservatory visible on hilltop behind towards Battery Point; maritime signal station with the Time Ball that was dropped automatically at 1pm, after a relayed telegraph signal from the Melbourne Observatory.
Black-and-white photograph shows elevated view of ruined church at Port Arthur, including charred timber roof framework; with view of waterfront and other buildings on Port Arthur site; cut hay is drying in paddock at front of church.
Black-and-white photograph shows waves lapping shoreline of Derwent River in foreground, with Government House on the hill, surrounded by mature trees, tall picket fence runs parallel with river, two wires strung between poles, visible through trees
Black-and-white photograph shows Hobart General Post Office viewed from Franklin Park. Words “G.P.O., HOBART, FROM FRANKLIN PARK” and “V6” are typewritten in black on white reverse panel at bottom of photograph
Black-and-white photograph shows men, women and children stripping hop cones into hessian-covered troughs, carrying baskets and sacks of harvested hops on the extensive hop grounds. The plant was cultivated widely at Glenorchy, Margate, Kingston and the Upper Derwent Valley area.
Black-and-white photograph depicts Miller’s Corner on the intersection of Liverpool Street and Murray streets, Hobart, looking towards waterfront down Murray Street. A.P. Miller, dispensing chemist, died 1904
Black-and-white photograph taken looking north along Gun Carriage Drive towards Government House, Hobart, with post-and-rail fences on Derwent River side; a horse harnessed to a four-wheel carriage, is on the left of the road; a small jetty extends from the shoreline and a boat is visible through the trees, anchored just off shore.
Black-and-white photograph shows ruins of the church at Port Arthur, damaged by fire in 1884,with charred timber framework in the roof, remnant shingles on the roof and climbing plants covering the sandstone of the church walls. Handwritten words “Church at Port Arthur” in lower left corner of image.
Black-and-white photograph shows Sandy Bay Road, with tram tracks on riverside of road, electric wires for Hobart Electric Tramway, carriage wheelmarks in the unpaved road surface, electricity transmission wires strung from poles mounted with porcelain insulators
Black-and-white photograph shows path to near base of waterfall in foothills of Mount Wellington, two men standing near a barrel beside a metal mesh and barbed wire fence and a padlocked gate barring access to the stream
Black-and-white photograph taken from elevated point on Queen’s Domain, looking north up Derwent River towards Cornelian Bay and New Town Bay; Risdon Park Racecourse (1880s-1926) at New Town in foreground, early burial plots in headland of Cornelian Bay Cemetery at right of picture.
Black-and-white photograph of Gentle Annie Falls, a man-made water channel constructed as part of the Hobart waterworks to supply fresh water to residents of Hobart, operating between the 1860s to 1940s.