Diploma of the degree of Doctor of Medicine granted by the College of James VI, Edinburgh. [Edinburgh University] and power to practice medicine granted to John William Hadden of Tasmania; signed by the- Principal (John Lee) and 14 professors and sealed with the 'common seal of the University of Edinburgh or College of James VI King of Scotland'. Parcrhment document in Latin, with engraved arms of Edinburgh and the Common Seal of the University. Dated 1 August 1856
Seal tag of blue silk and seal (detached) in metal container.
Seal: common seal of University of Edinburgh, red wax, impressed on paper.
Edinburgh University was originally the College of Edinburgh or the Town's College founded in 1583 by the Town Council of Edinburgh under a charter granted by King James VI, 14 April 1583, and was generally known as 'The College of James VI'. It gradually came to be styled University of Edinburgh, but remained under the Town Council until 1858 when it became autonomous. The arms (shown on the seal) granted in 1789, are: Argent (silver) on a saltire azure (blue), between a thistle proper in chief and a castle on a rock sable (black) in base, a book expanded on (gold).