Hobart Town Turkish Bath Company

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Hobart Town Turkish Bath Company

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



The establishment of a Turkish Bath Company for Hobart Town was promoted at a public meeting held on 25 October 1866. 200 shares of £5 each were sold. The chairman of the Directors was Alfred Kennerley, later succeeded by Henry Llewellyn Roberts. The first secretary was W.G. Elliston. Land at the corner of Harrington and Collins Street (south side) was purchased from Mr Adcock for £400 pounds in 1867 and adjacent land with two houses purchased from Moses Cohen in 1874. The building was designed by Henry Hunter and with fittings etc., cost about £1500 pounds. The baths were opened to the public in September 1868 (two days a week for ladies and 4 days for men). The company was wound up in 1892 and the premises sold. The buildings were finally pulled down in 1933


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places