- AU TAS UTAS SPARC M1
Alexander McGregor (1821-1896), shipowner and merchant, and John Gibson McGregor (1830-1902) arrived in Tasmania from Scotland with their parents, James and Janet McGregor. The brothers served apprenticeships under a shipwright, John Watson, and then started building boats. Alexander acquired the Domain Shipyard in 1855 with his brother John as foreman, but sold out to his brother in 1869.
Alexander McGregor started the firm of McGregor, Piesse & Co., general merchants of Elizabeth Street, Hobart, with Charles A. Piesse. They bought ships for exporting whale oil, blue gum, timber and wool, known as the "Red Iron" fleet, and they had a warehouse in Salamanca Place. The partnership was dissolved in 1886, possibly because the firm was getting into debt through McGregor's speculating in land and mine ventures. In his last years Alexander McGregor speculated unwisely in various property and mine share deals and was involved in a number of legal actions. Alexander McGregor was a member of the Legislative Council 1880 - 1896.
In 1847 McGregor married Harriet Bayley (1829-1878), who gave her name to two of his ships, the "Hally Bayley" and the "Harriet McGregor", Harriet McGregor died in 1878 and Alexander married Margaret Pigdon about 1884. He had a house, Lenna, in Battery Point and other property. After his death his second wife Margaret (nee Pigdon) married agent Thomas Bennison.
For more information see http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/mcgregor-alexander-4095