<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE ead PUBLIC "+//ISBN 1-931666-00-8//DTD ead.dtd (Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Version 2002)//EN" "http://lcweb2.loc.gov/xmlcommon/dtds/ead2002/ead.dtd">
<ead>
  <eadheader langencoding="iso639-2b" countryencoding="iso3166-1" dateencoding="iso8601" repositoryencoding="iso15511" scriptencoding="iso15924" relatedencoding="DC">
    <eadid identifier="william-gunn-2" countrycode="AU" mainagencycode="TAS UTAS SPARC" url="https://sparc.utas.edu.au/index.php/william-gunn-2" encodinganalog="identifier"/>
    <filedesc>
      <titlestmt>
        <titleproper encodinganalog="title">William Gunn</titleproper>
      </titlestmt>
      <publicationstmt>
        <publisher encodinganalog="publisher">Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections</publisher>
        <address>
          <addressline>Level 5, Morris Miller Library, Sandy Bay Campus, University of Tasmania</addressline>
          <addressline>Sandy Bay</addressline>
          <addressline>Tasmania</addressline>
          <addressline>7005</addressline>
          <addressline>Telephone: +613 6226 2243</addressline>
          <addressline>Email: Special.Collections@utas.edu.au</addressline>
          <addressline>http://www.utas.edu.au/library/research/special-and-rare-collections</addressline>
        </address>
        <date normal="2018-11-04" encodinganalog="date">2018-11-04</date>
      </publicationstmt>
    </filedesc>
    <profiledesc>
      <creation>
      Generated by Access to Memory (AtoM) 2.6.1      <date normal="2026-08-19">2026-08-19 15:16 UTC</date>
    </creation>
      <langusage>
        <language langcode="eng">English</language>
      </langusage>
    </profiledesc>
  </eadheader>
  <archdesc level="series" relatedencoding="ISAD(G)v2">
    <did>
      <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">William Gunn</unittitle>
      <unitdate normal="1822/1877" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1822-1877</unitdate>
      <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        13 files    </physdesc>
      <repository>
        <corpname>Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections</corpname>
        <address>
          <addressline>Level 5, Morris Miller Library, Sandy Bay Campus, University of Tasmania</addressline>
          <addressline>Sandy Bay</addressline>
          <addressline>Tasmania</addressline>
          <addressline>7005</addressline>
          <addressline>Telephone: +613 6226 2243</addressline>
          <addressline>Email: Special.Collections@utas.edu.au</addressline>
          <addressline>http://www.utas.edu.au/library/research/special-and-rare-collections</addressline>
        </address>
      </repository>
      <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
        <persname id="atom_26247_actor">William Gunn</persname>
      </origination>
    </did>
    <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
      <note>
        <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
      </note>
    </bioghist>
    <odd type="publicationStatus">
      <p>Published</p>
    </odd>
    <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
      <p>Letters, and transcripts of letters to William Gunn, copy of notice in newspaper, Account ledger, Bank book, Executor accounts for the estate of William Gunn</p>
    </scopecontent>
    <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
      <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
    </acqinfo>
    <processinfo>
      <p>
        <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
      </p>
    </processinfo>
    <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
      <p>Open for research</p>
    </accessrestrict>
    <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
      <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
    </userestrict>
    <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
      <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
    </otherfindaid>
    <dsc type="combined">
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Notice of arrival</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-1</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1822/1822" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1822</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1 ms copy    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26341_actor">William Gunn</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Copy of notice that appeared in the  Hobart Town Gazette of the arrival of the "Shelton" (Capt. Dixon), listing passengers including Lieut. William Gunn and family. (ms copy) dated 28 December 1822</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Letter : Temple Pearson to Gunn</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-2</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1828/1828" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1828</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1 letter    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26355_actor">William Gunn</persname>
            <persname id="atom_110914_actor">Temple Pearson</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <bioghist id="md5-9c45ffbde0a0ba9621b6accc9643b641" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>Doctor Temple Pearson (1790-1839) ,  retired army doctor arrived in Hobart from Douglas, Scotland, in 1822 with 1300 pounds in goods and cash and his second wife. Douglas Park Campbell Town was built for Temple Pearson didn't have any children, and when he died in 1839, aged forty-nine, he left the property to his brother John, of Bathgate, Scotland. In 1846 John Pearson put Douglas Park on the market and it was leased by various people until purchased by A.E. Jones,  in 1912.</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Letter written 1 July 1828 from Temple Pearson, Douglas Park to Gunn: friendly letter regarding  servant due a ticket of leave so needs replacement  and Gunn's bull.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Letter : Robert Campbell Gunn to brother William Gunn</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-3</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1828/1828" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1828</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1 letter    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26374_actor">William Gunn</persname>
            <persname id="atom_110912_actor">Robert Campbell Gunn</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <bioghist id="md5-e13a44f171caa0cf436de6a23e4e1442" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>Brother of William Gunn. Ronald Campbell Gunn (1808-1881), botanist, public servant and politician, was born at Cape Castle, Cape Town, the fourth son of William Gunn of Caithness, Scotland, a lieutenant in the 72nd Regiment, and his wife Margaret, née Wilson; and grandson of William Gunn and Ann, second daughter of Ronald Campbell of Wick, Scotland. Urged by his brother William, Gunn resigned his clerkship in 1829, returned to Edinburgh and sailed for Hobart Town in the Greenock. He arrived in February 1830 with letters from patrons that secured his appointment as overseer of the penitentiary under his brother. He became assistant superintendent of convicts at Launceston in December 1830, justice of the peace in 1833 and police magistrate at Circular Head in 1836. Back in Hobart, he was appointed fourth member of the Assignment Board and assistant police magistrate in 1838, assistant superintendent to the Male House of Correction in 1839, and private secretary to Sir John Franklin and clerk of the Legislative and Executive Councils in 1840. He resigned these appointments next year to become managing agent of the estates of William Lawrence, and two years later of Lady Jane Franklin's estates in Van Diemen's Land, as well as trustee for the Ancanthe botanical reserve and Betsy Island. For more information see: http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-ronald-campbell-2134</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Letter from Robert Campbell Gunn to brother William  dated  6 October  1828 from Barbados regarding the want of cash for fare home in spite of economies, appointment as clerk to Royal Engineers Antigua uncertain, thinking of moving to V.D.L., Gunn's father and father-in-law recently died in Antigua</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Note : William Gunn</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-4</unitid>
          <unitdate encodinganalog="3.1.3">n.d.</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1 document    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26395_actor">William Gunn</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Note  from William Gunn dated 5th April (n.d.) about constables (partly illegible)</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <phystech encodinganalog="3.4.3">
          <p>document damaged and fragile</p>
        </phystech>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Land purchase</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-5</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1840/1840" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1840</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1 letter    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26399_actor">William Gunn</persname>
            <persname id="atom_26400_actor">James Gordon</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <bioghist id="md5-3a4dee6177103a603f492b3c6116e8c6" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>James Gordon (1779-1842), magistrate, was born at Forcett, Yorkshire, England, the son of John Gordon, steward of the Stanwick estates of the Duke of Northumberland, a noted exporter of stud Teeswater sheep to New South Wales. In 1806 he emigrated to Sydney and soon entered mercantile life there, trading with China, New Zealand and Macquarie Island. In the rebellion against William Bligh he remained loyal and signed an address of sympathy to the deposed governor. In January 1814 he married Elizabeth Emily, daughter of Dr Thomas Arndell. For more information see:  http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gordon-james-2106</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Letter about land purchase dated   1 April 1840. Signature illegible.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Letter : Sarah Threlkeld</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-6</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1840/1840" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1840</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1 letter    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26425_actor">William Gunn</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Letter from Sarah Threlkeld (nee Arndell wife of L.E. Threlkeld, missionary) dated 24 May 1840. From Ebenezer, Lake Macquarie to brother [in law] and sister Gunn: L.E.T. taking service, children busy with books, family.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Letter : Rev. Robert Auld</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-8</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1845/1845" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1845</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1 letter - fragile and powdery    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26497_actor">William Gunn</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Letter from Rev. Robert Auld, Orkney, dated 8 April. 1845. Inquiring about Joseph Welsh and a bill of exchange he sent to Gunn in 1843 for Welsh. (transcript only, original too fragile and powdery too handle)</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Letter : W. Wood to W. Gunn</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-9</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1845/1845" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1845</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1 letter- fragile    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26501_actor">William Gunn</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Letter from  W. Wood to W. Gunn dated 1 July 1845. Nankridge: employment for Charles, Mr Swan bought horses and bullocks for ploughing, cannot offer present big rent of £650 for 2000 acres. (fragile document)</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Letter regarding Robert Simpson</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-10</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1846/1846" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1846</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1 letter    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26505_actor">William Gunn</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Letter regarding  Robert Simpson dated 1846. Inquiry from Glasgow solicitors to Gunn about a Robert Simpson who was convicted of theft in Glasgow in 1823 and transported, convicted again in 1840, but not heard of since, was next of kin to an uncle recently deceased.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Gunn's claim against Gordon estate</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-11 to 17</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1844/1849" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1844-1849</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        7 documents    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26509_actor">William Gunn</persname>
            <persname id="atom_26510_actor">James Gordon</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <bioghist id="md5-3a4dee6177103a603f492b3c6116e8c6" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>James Gordon (1779-1842), magistrate, was born at Forcett, Yorkshire, England, the son of John Gordon, steward of the Stanwick estates of the Duke of Northumberland, a noted exporter of stud Teeswater sheep to New South Wales. In 1806 he emigrated to Sydney and soon entered mercantile life there, trading with China, New Zealand and Macquarie Island. In the rebellion against William Bligh he remained loyal and signed an address of sympathy to the deposed governor. In January 1814 he married Elizabeth Emily, daughter of Dr Thomas Arndell. For more information see:  http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gordon-james-2106</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Gunn's claim against Gordon estate 1844 -1849. Papers relating to William Gunn's suit for debt against James Gordon, including: letter from Gunn to Mrs Gordon: sent 3 bags of sugar, Kelly's account, stock losses (22 Oct. 1844); letter from W. Gunn to sister in law Mrs Gordon: sending sugar, Kelly's case, been given notice to leave by Robertson etc (29 Oct. 1844); accounts of interest owed by James Gordon and Elizabeth Gordon 1841-1848; summons to E. Gordon for debt of £6000 to William Gunn (8 Sept. 1847, &amp; Sept. 1849); letter from W. Gunn to Thomas Young about the case and Mrs Gordon (8 Nov. 1848, transcript only - original too decayed to handle) statement by William Gunn to Mrs Elizabeth Gordon of Forcett, Pitttwater, widow of James Gordon, reciting judgement in suit brought by William Gunn requiring Mrs E. Gordon as executor to pay with account attached.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Account Ledger - William Gunn</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-19</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1835/1868" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1835-1868</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1 quarto leather bound volume    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26513_actor">William Gunn</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Account Ledger of William Gunn c.1835 -1868.  Little information recorded. Enclosed: bills for brass candlesticks and snuffers, washing for Mrs Gunn (1845).</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Bank Book of Bank of Australasia - William Gunn</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-20</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1857/1859" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1857-1859</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        1 small booklet    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26517_actor">William Gunn</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Bank Book of Bank of Australasia in the name of  William Gunn, 1857-1857</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
      <c level="item">
        <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Executors' accounts - estate of William Gunn</unittitle>
          <unitid encodinganalog="3.1.1" countrycode="AU" repositorycode="TAS UTAS SPARC">G5-21</unitid>
          <unitdate normal="1868/1877" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1868-1877</unitdate>
          <physdesc encodinganalog="3.1.5">
        5 documents    </physdesc>
          <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
            <persname id="atom_26521_actor">William Gunn</persname>
          </origination>
        </did>
        <bioghist id="md5-3849c3c4930df81bbd334d39ea8980cf" encodinganalog="3.2.2">
          <note>
            <p>William Gunn (1800-1868), police magistrate and Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks, was born in Newry, Ireland, son of Lieut. William Gunn and Margaret (Wilson). After service in the British army, he came to Tasmania in 1822 and received a grant of 400 acres of land in the Sorell district, called by Gunn "Bourbon" after his regiment. He was given occasional command of soldiers searching for bushrangers and in 1825 was wounded by a shot from one of Brady's gang and had to have his right arm amputated. In 1824 he was appointed superintendent of convicts at Birch's Bay (Channel).He served as Superintendent of Prisoners' Barracks in Hobart from 1826 ­1850 and Launceston 1850 - 1859 and remained Police Magistrate in Launceston until his death in 1868. On moving to Launceston he acquired Glen Dhu as his main residence. In 1829 William Gunn married at Sorell, Frances Hannah (Fanny) Arndell. They had three sons, William, Ronald Thomas and James Arndell, and 6 daughters, including Margaret who married  Frank Allison in 1852 (see A2) and Frances (Fanny jr.) and Isabel (Issie). Gunn was an elder of St Andrews Church, Hobart, and later of Chalmers Church, Launceston. For more informationsee : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gunn-william-2135</p>
          </note>
        </bioghist>
        <odd type="publicationStatus">
          <p>Published</p>
        </odd>
        <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1">
          <p>Executors' accounts for the estate of William Gunn deceased . Dated 1868 -1877.  Papers of the trustees and executors under the will of William Gunn (R.C. Gunn and Thompson and Ritchie), including authority to lease Glen Dhu to Mrs Gunn for one year, accounts for fencing and repairs at Glen Dhu, insurance, solicitors' fees, rent, rent for Bourbon, rent for Lakeland, share of income for Mrs Gunn, Mrs Allison, William Gunn jr., Isabella Simmons, E.E. Burrows, James A. Gunn and division of estate between Louisa Gunn, Elizabeth E. Gunn, William Gunn, Mrs Allison and James Gunn.</p>
        </scopecontent>
        <acqinfo encodinganalog="3.2.4">
          <p>Deposited by J. Murphy 1967</p>
        </acqinfo>
        <processinfo>
          <p>
            <date>LG 16/8/2018</date>
          </p>
        </processinfo>
        <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1">
          <p>Open for research</p>
        </accessrestrict>
        <userestrict encodinganalog="3.4.2">
          <p>This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au<lb/><lb/>When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:<lb/>“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special &amp; Rare Collections”</p>
        </userestrict>
        <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5">
          <p>Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10934/</p>
        </otherfindaid>
      </c>
    </dsc>
  </archdesc>
</ead>
