Print preview Close

Showing 253 results

Archival description
Sub-item With digital objects
Print preview View:

Wedding cards in envelope

Two wedding cards with decorative scalloped edges attached together with metallic beaded clip, one smaller, inscribed Mrs D.F. Jobson and D.F. Jobson in a silver embossed envelope with decorative seal addressed Mr & Mrs G.W. Walker

Mourning card Isabella Mather

Mourning card constructed from heavy card-stock, and made up of an intricate formal design that is cut and embossed. Black margin surrounding card and envelope. Also black bordered printed insert “Lines on the death of Isabella, the beloved wife of Mr John Mather, and second daughter of Mr Abraham Biggs, who departed this life on the 14th June, 1863 aged 30 years and 9 monthe. Her end was peace.

In memoriam Hannah Maria Benson

Folded memorial card with black margins. In loving memory of Hannah Maria, widow of the rev. Samuel Benson M.A. Chaplin of St. Saviour’s Southwark who died February 18th, 1882 aged 73 years. Interred at Norwood Cemetery, grave number 18495

Plan of early Hobart Town

Lantern Slide of plan of early Hobart Town, from a survey done in 1804-1805, showing later alterations. The plan also appears in James Backhouse Walker's paper 'The Founding of Hobart, by Lieut.-Governor Collins' read to the Royal Society of Tasmania 14/10/1889. In this he describes the plan, "I am indebted to my friend Mr. Mault for a beautifully executed plan, which shows very clearly the original features of the ground, and the position of the first camp, and also indicates the alterations which have since taken place. It is taken from a survey made by Surveyor-General Harris in 1804-5. The original plan was discovered many years ago in the Lands Office at Sydney, and was presented by the New South Wales Government to our Lands Department. The Deputy- Commissioner of Crown Lands, Mr. Albert Reid, kindly presented me with a tracing of it."
Lantern slide thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Captain Kelly's house

Lantern slide of Captain Kelly's house, Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Governor Sir Thomas Gore Browne

Lantern slide of Governor Sir Thomas Gore Browne. Governor of Tasmania from 1861-1868. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1817

Lantern slide of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, in February, 1817. Inscribed with the words 'Hobart Town in 1817. Drawn by Lieut. Charles Jeffreys' - also shows the Government schooner the Kangaroo , church, Government House and Fort.

Charles Jeffreys

Jack, native of Cape Grim

Lantern slide of Jack, native of Cape Grim. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

View from Mr. Robert's garden, West Hobart

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking towards the Eastern Shore. The panorama has been taken from Mr. Roberts' garden with various shrubs and a Norfolk Island pine in the foreground. Henry Hall Baily is the photographer. He had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Mt. Wellington from the foot of St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Mt. Wellington from the foot of St. George's Hill in about 1870. The view is from the corner of Albeura St and Sandy Bay Rd. The photographer's name, Woolley, is recorded in a note on the reverse and presumably refers to Charles Alfred.

James Backhouse Walker

Old St. David's Cathedral

Photograph of old St. David's Cathedral on the corner of Macquarie and Murray Streets, Hobart c. 1870.

John Watt Beattie

The Bank of Van Diemen's Land and Hobart Town Hotel

Photograph of Macquarie Street Hobart, looking west in about 1870. The Bank of Van Diemen's Land and Hobart Town Hotel are in the foreground. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets between 1865 and 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Murray Street, above Liverpool Street intersection

Photograph of Murray Street, taken from above the Liverpool Street intersection, Hobart, in about 1880. Webb's Hotel and Alexander McGregor's house, Lenna, are visible in the distance. Also shows Bishopsbourne Photographic studo; Ready & Mulcahy Drapers & Clothiers; Head and Plowman Baby Linen Warehouse Millinery & Underclothing ; Burgess & Barrett Provision merchants, Tea Dealers ; Bidencope Tailor & Hatter; J. Roberts Billiard & Coffee Saloon

Westella

Photograph of Elizabeth Street, Hobart, looking towards the harbour with Westella and the Memorial Congregational Church in the foreground. Taken prior to The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Bush Hotel, New Norfolk

Photograph of the Bush Hotel, New Norfolk, Tasmania, 1881. Proprietor at the time was Captain Blockey. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Port Arthur church and Penitentiary

Photograph of Port Arthur church and Penitentiary with view of Mt. Arthur in the distance. The photographers were Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Port Arthur Penitentiary

Photograph of Port Arthur Penitentiary c. 1880. The photographers are Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891

Anson Brothers

Eaglehawk Neck

Photograph of Eaglehawk Neck. The photographers are Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Ships and Salamanca warehouses

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of the Hobart waterfront taken in about 1870 with a view of ships moored next to the Salamanca warehouses. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart, from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Salamanca and Hobart waterfront

Photograph of Hobart waterfront - Salamanca looking towards Customs House. Could be around 1870. Photograph appears to have been taken in front of the warehouses near the wharf with ships alongside and a shingle roofed wooden building in the foreground.

Sullivans Cove from Battery Point

Photograph taken from Battery Point of Sullivans Cove. Taken from a garden with fountain in the foreground. Dated about 1876 and taken by photographer Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Waterworks Valley

Photograph of Stony Steps or Waterworks Valley, Hobart, Tasmania with Livingstone's house Marydale in the foreground and the Waterworks dam in the background, c.1870.

James Backhouse Walker

Old Mill at New Town Creek

Photograph of Old Mill at New Town Creek showing creek, buildings and mill wheel. Mt Wellington in distance

James Backhouse Walker

Sunnyside, New Town

Two photographs of Sunnyside, New Town, Tasmania, home of Thomas Daniel Chapman 1815-1884, Politician. Mt Wellington in distance. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Wedding cards

Two wedding cards, one smaller, inscribed Mr & Mrs W.E. Shoobridge in envelope addressed Mrs Walker. On verso of envelope flap written nee Annie B Mather.

Liverpool Street Hobart with horse drawn carriages

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart taken around the turn of the century showing horse drawn carriages in the foreground. The date is assumed from the presence of electric power poles which were introduced in 1898.

Cherry's Carlton Club Hotel

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart at the intersection of Argyle Street looking towards West Hobart, taken around the turn of the century showing Cherry's Carlton Club Hotel in the foreground. Also J. Whiteside & Son Furnishing Warehouse and Canes Iron mongers. The date is assumed from the presence of electric power poles which were introduced in 1898.

Liverpool Street Hobart

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart at the intersection of Elizabeth Street. Show gas lighting taken about 1870. The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Liverpool Street Hobart

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart taken from just before the Elizabeth Street intersection around the turn of the century with horse drawn carriages in the foreground. The date is assumed from the presence of electric power poles which were introduced in 1898.

Elizabeth Street looking toward Memorial Congregational Church

Photograph of Elizabeth Street Hobart looking north in about 1879. Legrands old shop is on the right and the old post offfice and Ship hotel are also visible according to notes on the reverse of the photo. Also shown is the Tasmanian pale ales store and the All Nations hotelThe photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Ship Inn

Photograph of the Ship Inn on the corner of Elizabeth and Collins Streets, Hobart. In 1881 the proprietor was Mr J. C. Hadley . The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

St. John's Street, Launceston

Photograph of St. John's Street, Launceston with St. John's Anglican Church and Chalmers Free Presbyterian Church on opposite sides of the street. The photographer was William Cawston who had studios in Paterson and St. John Streets, Launceston from 1863-1891.

William Cawston

Launceston Town Hall

Photograph of the Town Hall in Launceston, Tasmania. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Launceston from Windmill Hill

Photograph of Launceston from Windmill Hill looking north taken in c1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Port Arthur from behind the church

Photograph of Port Arthur from behind the church with ship in the harbour, taken by Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Fluted Cape, Adventure Bay

Photograph of Fluted Cape, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, Tasmania. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918

Henry Hall Baily

View from the Botanical Gardens

Photograph of view from the Botanical Gardens, Hobart, Tasmania in about 1880. Three Norfolk Island pines dominate the foreground and the view looks out to the River Derwent and Eastern Shore. The photographers were Anson Brothers, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Sullivans Cove

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Sullivan's Cove in about 1870 according to a note on the reverse. Taken from around Victoria Dock, Old St David's cathedral in background. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Hobart Regatta

Photograph of the Hobart Regatta taken in 1886. The photographer was Albert Sargeant who had studios in Macquarie Street, Hobart from 1886-1890 and George Street, Launceston from 1900-1913

Albert Sargeant

Hobart Regatta Grandstand from the water

Photograph of the Hobart Regatta grandstand taken from the water in 1886. The photographer was Albert Sargeant who had studios in Macquarie Street, Hobart, Tasmania from 1886-1890 and George Street, Launceston, Tasmania from 1900-1913.

Albert Sargeant

Old University building

Photograph of the old University building (Domain House) on Queen's Domain, Hobart, Tasmania, c. 1890s.

Derwentwater, Sandy Bay

Photograph of Derwentwater, Sandy Bay, Tasmania, home of Captain Langdon Swan, c.1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Mount Wellington

Photograph of Mount Wellington with farm buildings in the foreground in the vicinity of the Cascades Brewery, Hobart, Tasmania.

Anson Brothers

Cascade Brewery

Photograph of the Cascade Brewery buildings from behind, Hobart, Tasmania. The photographers were Anson Brothers whose studios were located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Kangaroo Bay

Photograph of Kangaroo Bay (Bellerive) on Hobart's Eastern Shore from hill showing wharf and houses c. 1882. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Kangaroo Bay

Photograph of Kangaroo Point (Bellerive) Beach on Hobart's Eastern Shore looking toward settlement c. 1882. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Hobart view

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Hobart viewing over St. Davids Park, probably from Hampden Road, (in about 1878 according to a note on the reverse). The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

.

James Backhouse Walker

Photograph of the Oddfellows Hall

Photograph of Davey Street, Hobart, looking east, in about 1876. The photograph is taken from the intersection with Harrington Street and Oddfellows Hall is in the foreground. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918

St. Mary's Cathedral

Photograph of St. Mary's Cathedral in Harrington Street in about 1870. Henry Hall Baily is the photographer. He had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Presslands House

Photograph of Pressland House, formerly J.P. Cowle's School, in 1881. (from notes by J. B. Walker on back of photograph) The building has a sign on the front which reads 'These premises for sale'. (see detail). During the 1840s Pressland House was the home of Mr Cowle's 'Hobart Town Classical and Commercial Academy'. (Craig, Clifford 'More old Tasmanian Prints', Launceston, Foot and Playsted, 1984 p.312). Photographer: A. Winter, Hobart Town - embossed on bottom left corner of photograph - (Alfred Winter had a photographic studio in Bathurst Street, Hobart from 1869-1891).

Alfred Winter

The Tasmanian Club, Macquarie Street, Hobart

Photograph of the Tasmanian Club formally the Derwent Bank, and Walch's building with a landau outside. The Tasmanian Club is a Georgian style building designed by architect James Alexander Thomson and built in 1846 for banker and merchant Captain Charles Swanston as the Derwent Bank. After the depression of the 1840's the Bank went into liquidation and the building was bought by the Tasmania Club in April 1873 and is still their residence today. The Tasmanian Club was established in 1861 in Hobart by seventy gentlemen. It was founded on the 'London pattern', that is, election or exclusion of candidates by ballot. The photographers are Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

St. Joseph's Catholic Church

Photograph of Macquarie Street Hobart including St. Joseph's Catholic Church c. 1870. The view is looking west. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Photograph of electric tram car

Photograph of an electric tram car in Hobart, about 1893, thought to be travelling along Macquarie Street. Advertising Lester Brothers Family Grocers. Wertheim sewing machines, Pear's soap, Cascade ale & J.W. Beattie, Photographer.

Public buildings in Macquarie Street

Photograph of public buildings in Macquarie Street, Hobart opposite St. Davids Cathedral site, corner Collins Street c. 1876. Mail coach is in front of the Post Office.

Old Government House

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of old Government House, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land 1847. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Port Arthur

Lantern slide of Port Arthur 1839. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town Gazette

Lantern slide of front page of the Hobart Town Gazette, June 1816. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Results 1 to 100 of 253