Showing 2569 results

Archival description
Image With digital objects
Print preview View:

Staff with Japanese Visitor

Staff with Japanese visitor (front left) taken in front of the main entrance to Domain House, named around photograph N.E. Lewis, W.H. Williams, D.G. McDougall, Herman Ritz, H.C Kingsmill, James Cruickshank, R.L. Dunbabin, F.M. Johnstone, Loftus Hill, A. Beale, C. Dean, Mary Samplan

University of Tasmania

Staff of the Commerce Department

Black and white mounted photograph of University of Tasmania Commerce Department staff taken in 1938. Left to right: Miss Jeanette Audrey Cox (Clerk 1932-1939), Ken M Dallas, D. L Anderson and Professor F.R.E. Mauldron (front).

University of Tasmania

Library Staff 1956

One small black and white photograph of Library staff taken outside the entrance to Domain House, Christmas 1956.

University of Tasmania

Loans desk

Photograph of the Librarian, D H Borchardt at Loans desk with Mrs Kemp 1960

University of Tasmania

Main reading area

Photograph of the main reading area of the Library, Domain, House . Taken in November 1960 showing students working at desks. Honour board on wall.

University of Tasmania

People standing outside former Coffee Palace, Bothwell

Colour photograph of people standing beside motor vehicles parked outside former coffee palace, hotel and doctor’s surgery at 90 Dalrymple Street Bothwell. Citation on National heritage register: “A two storey brick and stucco Georgian building with a stone rear section, licensed as the Young Queen from 1851-1877 when the name was changed to Maskell's Hotel. The building appears in a book on Colonial architecture by Hardy Wilson with a crinolined lady at the doorway with luggage and bird cage. The building is an important townscape element.”

Former Crown Inn at Bothwell

Colour photograph shows former Crown Inn at 15 Alexander Street, Bothwell, with distinctive colour crown insignia above first-storey veranda and coloured light globes mounted along balcony

Farming area

Black and white photograph taken from hillside, looking down on two-storey house with numerous outbuildings. Fenced paddocks visible.

Graeme Raphael

Loading apples on the wharf

Cases of Tasmanian apples being loaded on board a ship, with a man driving a wagon with packing cases stamped with the number 393. A cyclist is riding past on the wharf with a ship moored nearby.

Graeme Raphael

View of Barnes Bay 1960

Colour photograph taken 1960 of Barnes Bay, Bruny Island, slightly out of focus, showing water and tree-covered headland

Hal Wyatt

Sailing boat moored in Hobart, 1950s

Colour photograph of small, two masted sailing boat, with green painted hull, and a sign Onrust, Holland, pinned to mast, Onrust also painted onto side of boat.

Hal Wyatt

McNaught beam engine at works depot in Hobart 1967

Colour photograph of beam engine in Hobart, purportedly the oldest McNaught Beam Engine in existence, originally built 1854 in Paisley Scotland, by A.W. Smith and used by Risby’s Sawmill in Hobart until 1955; photograph taken at Moonah public works depot 1967

Hal Wyatt

Locomotive steam engine in railyard

Colour photograph of black locomotive, shunting a rail car in unidentified rail yard, boiler design has a light, a low-profile front funnel, then two steam domes atop the centre of the locomotive boiler.

Hal Wyatt

Flower bed at botanical gardens

Colour photograph of Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens at Queens Domain, Hobart; depicts garden beds, lawns and Derwent River, looking towards Selfs Point Jetty and petroleum storage tanks at Selfs Point.

Hal Wyatt

Visitors at Brickendon, Longford

Colour photograph shows two sightseers, man with camera hanging on strap around his neck and gloved woman carrying handbag, outside main house at Brickendon, historic 465ha estate established and farmed by William Archer and descendants since 1824, who invited tourists to their property from the late 20th century.

Hal Wyatt

Repair work on Tasman Bridge

Colour photograph shows site of repair work to Tasman Bridge, damaged by the crash of the ore carrier Lake Illawarra in January 1975.

Hal Wyatt

Cranes repairing Tasman Bridge

Colour photograph shows cranes atop pylons at the site of repair work to Tasman Bridge, damaged by the crash of the ore carrier Lake Illawarra in January 1975; missing pylons being replaced.

Hobart Bridge and Tasman Bridge

Colour photograph taken from the western shore of the Derwent River, depicts vehicles travelling on the temporary, floating Hobart Bridge, while the nearly complete multi-lane Tasman Bridge to join the eastern and western shores of the river, is visible downstream.

Hal Wyatt

Carriage horses at Launceston Show 1972

Colour photograph shows grey horse pulling a carriage with two occupants; another horse in harness standing nearby. Harness racing track at Elphin Showground in background.

Hal Wyatt

Building Tasman Bridge 1962

Colour photograph shows construction of Tasman Bridge, with scaffolding, cranes and workers atop frame, photographed from the water, bridge built across the Derwent River, taken 1963.

Hal Wyatt

Building Tasman Bridge early 1960s

Colour photograph shows construction of the Tasman Bridge, in early 1960s, as viewed from the eastern shore of the Derwent River; the floating Hobart Bridge is visible in foreground; Mount Wellington in distance, with dry grasslands in the foothills of the mountains, visible on western shore of river.

Hal Wyatt

Cadet dinghy on Derwent

Colour photograph shows a child sailor at the rudder of a cadet dinghy on Derwent River sailing upstream, while another pleasure craft is travelling in opposite direction; both are sailing past the Royal Australian Navy ship, the Destroyer Escort, HMAS Torrens, (No. 53 emblazoned on the side) is berthed just off Port of Hobart.

Hal Wyatt

Centenary engine taking coal

Colour photograph of a railway worker filling the coal car of the Centenary steam locomotive loading coal at a railway siding during the Tasmanian Government Railway centenary tours of 1971.

Hal Wyatt

Centenary Train arrives at Westbury

Colour photograph of schoolchildren and sightseers watching the arrival of the Centenary Train, pulled by two steam locomotives on the Tasmanian Government Railways line, at Westbury Station.

Hal Wyatt

Centenary Train stops

Colour photograph of people examining the idle Centenary Train, pulled by two Tasmanian Government Railway steam locomotives.

Hal Wyatt

Centenary Train under way

Colour photograph shows man with camera taking photograph of Centenary Train, pulled by two Tasmanian Government Railways steam locomotives.

Hal Wyatt

Pots of cineraria in bloom

Colour photograph of pots of various colours of cineraria in glasshouse/conservatory built next to sandstone structure

Hal Wyatt

Crowd at Centenary Train, Westbury 1972

Colour photograph shows schoolchildren and adults gathered to watch steam locomotive at Westbury, 1972, with “Centenary Train 1872-1972” emblazoned on front boiler of locomotive.

Hal Wyatt

Cadbury Football Team, 1922

Group photograph of football team. Photograph annotated as 19th August 1922. C.F.P. Team. L to R: J Parry, E Whoteman, Faulkner, L Norman, F Goodwin, H Colbourne, T Gayton, J Geard, C Thomptson, F Burton, H White, A E Lodge. Kneeling: B Gayton, L Davies, B Stokes, E Frapell.

Results 1 to 100 of 2569