Mostrando 445 resultados

Descripción archivística
George Musgrave Parker: Correspondence and research records
Imprimir vista previa Ver :

95 resultados con objetos digitales Muestra los resultados con objetos digitales

George Musgrave Parker: Correspondence and research records

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC P1
  • Colección
  • 1922-1965

Most of the papers consist of notes made about historical queries, a rough draft of his book, and correspondence with East Coast residents and others requesting information. There is also a collection of newspaper cuttings and pamphlets relating to the history of Tasmania, especially the East Coast and some photographs and snapshots. Dr Parker also collected some original historical documents~ chiefly from East Coast families (although those of Dr Storey and the Cotton families have now been returned to the Cotton archives (ref. C.7). Dr Parker's collection of Walch's Almanacs has been supplemented by others received from Walch's and is kept up to date and now forms a complete record set for Walch's records (kept for reference in the Archives Reading Room). Some early newspapers (including Colonial Times, Southern Cross, Launceston Courier) were transferred to the State Archives to fill gaps in their collection .

George Musgrave Parker

Letters written by Frederick Rapp regarding the history of Waterloo Point

Three letters written by Frederik Rapp to Doctor Parker dated 17 March, 16 July & 15 December 1928 regarding the history of Waterloo Point, Great Swanport and the Municipality of Glamorgan in the late 1800's. Mention is made of the old church on the school reserve, the old school, now the War Institute, the pews from the church, various residents, hotels, sailing vessels and the building of the jetty

Letters received 1927-1958

Letters mainly about historical queries and East Coast families from (reference numbers in brackets): A.A. Allen, Bicheno (wool press, whaling, 1929, P/l/2 [3]); H. Amos, 1930-31 (9,10,12,44); T. Amos Heriot, 1949 (news cutting about Meredith's arrival with sheep, 31); Douglas Cotton, Kelvedon, 1947 (diaries at Kelvedon, 26); John Gellibrand 1935 (15,21); Glamorgan Municipality, 1948-1953 (permission to photograph photo of first Council, possible assistance in publishing book on Swanport, (27-29); R.W. Giblin, 1929 (4); Robert Snowdon Hay, Bishop of Tasmania, 1927 (agreeing to open fair for Bellerive Mothers' Union in aid of the Sunday School 11) 1933 (answer to congratulatory letter, 13); J. Heyer, 1934 (Rev. Thomas Dove, 14); W.H. Hudspeth, 1930 (Thorneycroft or other house in Macquarie St., 34); Ernest? Hull (Marquis of Salisbury papers, 20); R.W. Legge, Cullenswood, 1935 (17); N.E. Lewis, 1928 (2); B. Lyne, Campbell Town, 1958 (45); Violet Mace, Bothwell and Schouten House, Swansea, 1930-1935 (offering copies of Australasian, Meredith letters, farm diaries (1858-1898), maps, 5, 7, 8, 9, 16, 18, 19); Ian B. Macdonald, 1939 (Swansea Church Ch 23); T.A. Miles, 1955 (ships, 39); Sarah E.E. Mitchell, 1936, (Christmas greetings, 22); Harry O'May, Shiplovers Society, 1948 (East Coast Shipping, 30); D.C. Pearse, 1958, (artist Munnings, 47) Amy Rowntree, 1954 (Runnymede Church, 37); Amy C. Shaw, 1931 (Joseph Allen memorial window St. David's Cathedral, 11); Fred C. Shaw, 1950 (Rocky Hills convicts, 38), 1956 (All Saints Church Swansea dedicated 1871, 41),1957 (post office, 42); Angus G. Shoobridge, 1947 (25); Karl Von Stiglitz,1950-1955 (32, 33, 35, 36,40); State Library Board, 1957 (proposal that the State Archives Department should undertake 2. cont. p. 1 the care of all archive material and the Board appoint Honorary Archivists to locate historical records, compile inventories, advise on storage and encourage transfer to the State Archives, 43}; Australian Dictionary of Biography? 1957 (provisional list of Tasmanians, 46).

B : Historical research notes and drafts

Some records of Great Swanport and the Municipality of Glamorgan 1820-1920 by G. Musgrave Parker' c.1950 . Typed draft, corrected ms., with ms notes and illustrations (snapshots or newspaper cuttings) in 16 chapters and 3 appendices. The draft is in an unfinished state; many gaps have been left for dates or other information to be added, and numerous ms. notes, clippings, etc. have been inserted or left loose in the folders.
Chapter 1 -Early history 1642-1821
Chapter 2 The pioneers 1821-1826
Chapter 3 Under military control 1826-1840
Chapter 4 The native problem in Great Swanport.
Chapter 5 Bushrangers in the district.
Chapter 6 Whaling sealing and some early exports.
Chapter 7 Civilian administration 1841-1859
Chapter 8 The Rural Municipal Council 1860-1920 (police, medical men, coroners, Registrar of Births, Deaths, Marriages).
Chapter 9 Sheep and wool, wattle bark and agriculture
Chapter 10 Coal, tin, gold and lime.
Chapter 11 Roads, bridges, jetties.
Chapter 12 Shipping on the coast.
Chapter 13 The story of the churches
Chapter 14 Parliament and the local representatives
Chapter 15 Education, postal history, societies & clubs.
Chapter 16 Growth of district and township, notable visitors, wars, other notable events and weather.
Appendix A Grants and location orders [Land].
Appendix B Local persons of note (brief biographical notes in alphabetical order)
Appendix C Diary of Adam Amos 1822-1825.
Illustrations included:
Ch. 1. J.A. Graham, first Warden 1860
Ch 2. Pompey's Pillar, Alexandria, Creek Hut (G. Meredith's first residence), Cambria, Cranbrook House, Glen Gala
Ch 3. Red Banks ~ 1890 and later, Apsley, Apslawn, Milton (J. Allen's residence), Swanwick, 'The White Hut' Little Swanport, Kebreden, Kelvedon Rocky Hills Station (including stereoscopic photos of the ruins of the tread mill and lime kiln.
Ch 4. Aborigines, Muirlands Little Swanport (residence of John Radford) , Waubadebar’s grave Bicheno.
Ch 6. Wineglass Bay, Trumpeter Bay, Schouten Island, Meredith's Fishery, a trypot.
Ch 7. Waterloo Point 1852 (watercolour sketch on grey card copied from original at Cambria by Mary Ann Walker 1928
Ch 8. Wardens (J.A. Graham, F. Shaw, Carmichael Lyne, F.C. Shaw, W.F.G. Calvert (news clippings), Council Chambers, Alfred W. Smith, Robert Gould, F. Lyne, G.F. Storey (Beattie's Studio), Dr. E.W. Pilgrim, Dr. E.C. McCarthy, Dr. G.S. Rundle (c. 1860-70)
Ch 9. Sheep, wool press, Picnic Place from Apsley, Mayfield Mill and outhouses (late 19th cent.), Oyster Bay pine.
Ch 10. Bicheno
Ch 11. Rocky Hills culvert, Spiky Bridge Swansea, Swansea jetty.
Ch 12. Cutter 'Thames', ketches 'Good Intent' - 'Foam'.
Ch 13. All Saints Church, Swansea, Bernard Shaw, Shaw memorial window, Bishops Nixon, Bromby, Sandford, Montgomery, Mercer (news clippings), Frank Morris Gill, Tomb of Rev. Thomas Dove Swansea, Swansea (including Catholic Church), Gala Kirk, Fr. Thomas Kelsh (news clipping).
Ch 14. E.T. Miles, John Lyne, F. Lyne, W.H. Bennett, James White, H. Lamb, W.W. Perkins, J. Murdoch, James Lord, J. Mitchell, J. Meredith, C. Meredith, W.J. McWilliams, A. Hearn.
Ch 16. Swansea views Appendix B Graveyard at Llandaff.

Extracts from East Coast diaries

Brief notes and extracts from diaries of: John Allen, 1837-1876; Adam Amos, 1822-1825 (see also P.1/6 app. B); Capt. B. Bayley, 1838 -1839; Joseph Cotton, 1863 -1880; E.O. Cotton, 1881 -1896; George Meredith's pocket book, 1821; G.F. Storey, Nov. 1855 (on the taking of 'Dido', i.e. William Driscoll with a note by [Rachel Cotton] written from memory in 1918 and a news clipping); Edwin Woodland 1839 -1842 (a short note only from a diary, letter book and log book lent by Edward Marshall); Lady Franklin (brief note only). Also notes about the Meredith family and notes made from Sarah Mitchell's scrap books.

C : Press cuttings and pamphlets

Cuttings of historical interest from newspapers, chiefly Mercury, Australasian & Argus and The Critic, stuck in albums made from old catalogues (e.g. Army & Navy Stores) or old medical diaries. There are rough indexes to each volume except the first two. The volumes were originally numbered 16 - 42; no volumes 1 - 15 were received, possibly the numbers were left for the cuttings still loose in envelopes (see P.l/20) or they may refer to other notebooks and files. -1 - Indexes to newspaper cutting volumes 18 - 42
16 -1883 - 1907 Australasian, Argus & Mercury, including obituaries of Louisa Meredith (1895), Sir William Clarke (1897), James Bonwick, photos of Port Arthur by Dr. Fox, 1895; peal of bells from Port Arthur transferred to New Norfolk, 1897; visit of Duke and Duchess of Cornwall , 1901, including photographs of welcoming arches.)
17 - 1921 - 1924 'Notes by the Way' & 'historic land grants' by 'Historicus' in The Critic.
18 - c 1914 - 1924 'Notes by the Way' especially on aborigines and bushrangers. (partly indexed - see above)
19 – c. 1914 - 1924. As above, including extracts from Knopwood's journal. (Rough index)
20 - c 1914 - 1924 As above
21 - 1903 - 4, 1907, 1923 Miscellaneous cuttings (rough index) (Including centenary celebrations)
22 - 1924 - 1928 (includes Lyne family centenary 1926)
23 - 1928 Also includes some early cuttings including a description of Hobart, 1846
24 - 1929 - 1930
25 - 1930 - 1933
26 - 1933 to 1935
27 - 1935 to 1938
28 1942 to 1945
29 - 1945 to 1947
30 - 1948 to 1950
31 - 1950 to 1952 (including Buckland window mystery)
32 - 1952 to 1954
33 1954 to 1955
34 - 1955 - 1956
35 - 1957
36 - 1957 to 1958
37 - 1958 to 1959
38 1959 to 1960
39 - 1960 to 1961
40 - 1962
41 - 1962 to 1963
42 - 1963 to 1965

Guides etc.

Guides include:
• L.S. Bethell, The Story of Port Dalrymple [1957];
• Millbrook Rise 1914 -1918;
• Catalogue of furniture at 'Narryna, Hobart 1957;
• Bligh Museum, Adventure Bay 1956;
• Fenton, Bush Life in Tasmania;
• Dick Wardley, Tasmanian Adventure, 1953;
• Fearn Rowntree, Battery point Sketchbook, [?1953];
• Air raid precautions, 1941;
• Hutchins School prospectus ND c1930s
• Launcestonian, Launceston Church Grammar School Magazine, Centenary Issue 1946;
• St. Michael's Collegiate School, Hobart: blessing and opening Assembly

Glamorgan and East Coast associations & institutions : Rifle Club

Correspondence dated 1865-1869 & 1885-1886 concerning the formation of a rifle club for Glamorgan, including letter about arms supplied to the police, 1865, bye-laws of Glamorgan Rifle Club, 1865 (printed booklet, 2 copies, one marked
Angus A. Amos); request for return of arms, 1869; correspondence, list of names, regulations etc., in connection with the
proposed formation of a rifle club, 1885-6,
(See also P.1/5 for rules c. 1915)

D : Photographs, Prints and Drawings

Photographs of Swansea and the East Coast of Tasmania and other parts of Tasmania, etc., including some photographs taken by Dr. G.M. Parker, himself, between 1915 and 1950 (some with negatives) and others, including some earlier 19th century photographs and picture postcards, collected by Dr Parker from friends etc. There are also one or two drawings or news cuttings.

George Musgrave Parker

Apsley house

Photograph of Apsley House. Originally a single storey sandstone Georgian house built in the 1840's on land granted to John Lyne who was MHA for Glamorgan in the period 1843-1865. Small kodak prints. ?G.M.P photographer thought to be taken c1920's - (See also book ch.3, P1/35 (262)

George Musgrave Parker

Milton: the residence of J. Allen

Photograph, thought to have been taken in the 1930's, of the rebuilt Milton Farm house. In 1826, young John Allen applied for and received a grant of land on Tasmania's east coast: four hundred acres on the west bank of Cygnet River. He named the property Milton, after his home village in England. In February 1828, he reaped his first harvest, but in that same month, an Aboriginal raiding party attacked the (undefended) property, after previously harassing Allen's neighbours John Lyne and George Meredith. Allen's house was robbed and torched and his wheat stack burnt; damage was estimated at £300. Subsequently awarded a two hundred acre extension to his land grant 'as a remuneration for the Aforesaid Loss', he set to work rebuilding, this time a two-storey house of stone.

George Musgrave Parker

Milton: the residence of J. Allen

Photograph, thought to have been taken in the 1930's, of the rear of the rebuilt Milton Farm house. In 1826, young John Allen applied for and received a grant of land on Tasmania's east coast: four hundred acres on the west bank of Cygnet River. He named the property Milton, after his home village in England. In February 1828, he reaped his first harvest, but in that same month, an Aboriginal raiding party attacked the (undefended) property, after previously harassing Allen's neighbours John Lyne and George Meredith. Allen's house was robbed and torched and his wheat stack burnt; damage was estimated at £300. Subsequently awarded a two hundred acre extension to his land grant 'as a remuneration for the Aforesaid Loss', he set to work rebuilding, this time a two-storey house of stone

George Musgrave Parker

Swansea: Resthaven House

2 storied brick building, no veranda - mounted photo
Now known as Oyster Bay Guest House and located at 10 Franklin Street, Resthaven was built in 1841 and operated initially as the Black Swan Inn. In 1870 it became a store and then became a private residence which was occupied by a number of different doctors.

George Musgrave Parker

Swansea: Resthaven House

2 storied brick house
Now known as Oyster Bay Guest House and located at 10 Franklin Street, Resthaven was built in 1841 and operated initially as the Black Swan Inn. In 1870 it became a store and then became a private residence which was occupied by a number of different doctors.

George Musgrave Parker

Swansea: grave of Rev. Thomas Dove MA

Anglican Cemetery . Photograph taken by George Musgrave Parker
Front Inscription
In memoriam Rev Thomas Dove M.A. First Minister of this church born in Glasgow Scotland April 24th 1803
Arrived in Swanport in August 1844
And after labouring in this District as a Christian Minister for 38 years, he died at Swansea August 27th 1882 aged 79 years
Erected by his congregation. http://monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/people/religion/display/103957-reverend-thomas-dove

George Musgrave Parker

Harbottle's cottage at Swansea

Postcard produced by Swansea photographer, Miss F.M. Kennedy, (c1880-c1950s) of titled Harbottle's at Swansea, Tasmania.
This Cottage has also been know as Harbottle's Cottage and Caulfield Cottage. This single storey, sandstone rubble building with a corrugated iron hipped roof was listed by the National Trust in 1976 as it demonstrated the principal characteristics of a single storey, sandstone Victorian Georgian domestic building . Located at 45 Shaw Street, Swansea, Tasmania

George Musgrave Parker

Apslawn House

Photograph of front view of Apslawn House. A sandstone Georgian house built in the 1840's on 640 acres of land granted to John Lyne, MHA for Glamorgan ,1843-1865. Located on the Tasman Highway, Apslawn, 13km south-west of Bicheno.

George Musgrave Parker

Apsley Log Cabin

Photograph of Apsley original log cabin dating from 1826 on the property granted to William Lyne by Governor Arthur on order from Lord Apsley, eldest son of Lord Bathurst. Copy made by J.W. Beattie of an original of J. Lyne

George Musgrave Parker

Resultados 1 a 100 de 445