Print preview Close

Showing 1706 results

Archival description
Tasmania
Print preview View:

1388 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Images of West Coast Tasmania

  • AU TAS UTAS ITCCD 2017/1
  • Collection
  • 1890s

This collection is a sample of images of Queenstown, Zeehan and Macquarie Harbour, sourced from the Colin Dennison image collection. Most of the images were originally created prior to 1956 and have been sourced from private Tasmanian collections. Most of the images have been obtained by scanning photographs either donated to or purchased by Mr Dennison or copied by him with the permission of families, one or more of whose members took the photographs. Some of the images can be identified as copies of original images created by government departments which were discarded and destroyed.

Colin Dennison (Curator)

Photograph of Olive Pink and friends

1 sepia photograph of camp at Professor Lyndhurst Falkiner Giblin's Farm - Cobbler's End, Tasmania. Picturing Olive Pink, Florence Rodway, with mop and basin, Mildred Lovett with grid iron as harp, and Ursula Walker

Olive Pink

Postcard of Koalas

Black and white postcard inscribed Koalas, Greetings from Australia. On verso Mowbray Series, Scenic and Historic Views

Postcard of HMAS Sydney

Black and white postcard of the air craft carrier the HMS Terrible at the HM dockyard, Devonport , England , being recommissioned as the HMAS Sydney, Australia's first aircraft carrier. She was handed over to Australia during a ceremony at Devonport on 16 December 1948 at which she was renamed HMAS Sydney by Mrs J.A. Beasley, wife of the Australian High Commissioner to the UK. She was subsequently accepted into service on 5 February 1949 under the command of Captain R.R. Dowling, DSO, RAN. For more information http://www.navy.gov.au/hmas-sydney-iii

Postcard of the pontoon bridge, Hobart

Black and white postcard of the River Derwent and the pontoon bridge with a view to the Montague Bay from the Queens Domain. Inscribed H.J.H No. 143. ( H. J. Hellessey ) Real photo card

Postcard of Russell Falls

Black and white postcard of the Russell Falls, a tiered–cascade waterfall on the Russell Falls Creek, located in the Central Highlands region of Tasmania

Postcard of Port Arthur

Black and white postcard of Port Arthur, southern Tasmania showing the church, the penitentiary and other buildings. Marked 26

Appointment as Attorney General

Letter Patent on parchment dated 20th October 1909 , appointment of John Earle as Attorney General. Earle led a minority Labor Government as Premier and Attorney-General from April 1914 until the Government’s defeat at the election of April 1916

John Earle

Scrap Books

Press cuttings relating to John Earle, including speeches, parliamentary debates and election speeches - chiefly relating to issues of war and conscription. Three scrapbooks made from Legislative Council Journal and Senate Paper volumes.

John Earle

The Great National Crisis

One booklet entitled "Letters and press comments on the actions of the Hon. John Earle in the Great National Crisis, selected from a mass of correspondence by R.D. Lord 13 Feb. 1917. Printed by Stationary Co. Hobart

John Earle

Electoral address

Electoral address: entitled "To the People of Tasmania" from the Daily Post, Hobart, dated 1916

John Earle

The World at War

One pamphlet entitled "The World at War" dated 25-26 Sept. 1918. Reprint from Parliamentary Debates

John Earle

Comments on the Perth Labor Conference

One pamphlet entitled "Comments on the Perth Labor Conference" Nov. 1918 by Senator J. Earle,on amendments of Defence Act. Extracts from Mercury

John Earle

Protection

One pamphlet entitled "Protection" dated 13 July 1921.
Speech by the Hon. John Earle reprinted from Parliamentary Debates.

John Earle

Election broadsheet

Election broadsheet entitled "Reminiscences which may be useful to John Earle's supporters" Printed by E.H. Newman.

John Earle

Cheer up Australia

One pamphlet entitled "Cheer up Australia" dated 19 July 1922.
Reprint of speech by Senator J. Earle from Parliamentary Debates.

John Earle

Colonial Times and the Tasmanian

Four newspapers, Colonnial Times and the Tasmanian published by John Campbell Macdougall, Collins St., Hobart.
• 23 June 1846
• 20 Sept 1854
• 24 Dec 1855
• 4 Jan 1856

John Campbell Macdougall

The Mercury - 21 June 1887

One newspaper, The Mercury, published by Charles Ellis Davies, Macquarie St., Hobart . This edition : Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria Supplement dated 21 June 1887

Charles Ellis Davies

The Bothwell Centenarian

One newspaper, The Bothwell centenarian : 1830-1930. Printed and published by the Critic Pty. Ltd. for the Centenary Committee of the Bothwell Presbyterian Church, 1930 . Saturday, May 24, 1930.
4 p. : ill. ; 69 cm.

Bothwell Presbyterian Church : Centenary Committee

The Mercury - 11th November 1918.

One newspaper, The Mercury, published by Charles Ellis Davies, Macquarie St., Hobart . This edition : Extraordinary edition - Armistice signed by the Germans. Dated 11th November 1918.

Davies Brothers Pty Ltd

The Mercury - July 1954

One newspaper, The Mercury, published by Davies Brothers Ltd., Hobart . Edited by Dick Wordley. This edition : The Mercury, Centenary Magazine dated July 1954. 160 p. : ill. ; 46 cm.

Davies Brothers Pty Ltd

The Examiner - 19th December 1900

One newspaper, The Examiner, Christmas Supplement, published Wednesday 19th December 1900, includes historical articles and illustration on Port Arthur, Launceston and others.

The Examiner Newspaper

The Weekly Courier - 6th July 1901

Two pages only of the Weekly Courier dated 6th July 1901 . Pages 23-30 - Beattie photographs of 'Glenora' the estate of Mr L.M Shoobridge at Bushy Park, Tasmania, depicts house, man on bank and ladies in a row boat on the lake, other photos of hopfields, apple orchards, hop picking and apple picking, fruit store and hop drying klin. Eight Beattie photographs of the Royal visit to Tasmania.

Henry Button

Farming area

Black and white photograph taken from hillside, looking down on two-storey house with numerous outbuildings. Fenced paddocks visible.

Graeme Raphael

Ford taxi

Ford taxi cab, marked Car 1309, Area 2. Car sporting red plastic nose, possibly in support of Red Nose Day which aims to raise awareness of SIDS

Graeme Raphael

Historic house

Photograph of two-storey rendered house, Georgian in style, with trees, lawn and flower garden at front, behind fence with old lichen-covered fenceposts, strands of rusty barbed wire and wire mesh.

Graeme Raphael

Reflections on artificial lake

Three people stand near a car parked beside an artificial lake, in front of a dwelling with a steep pitched A-frame roofline, gum trees on surrounding rise, with old farming equipment and freshly painted wagon wheels in garden. Australian flag flying on flagpole.

Graeme Raphael

Loading apples on the wharf

Cases of Tasmanian apples being loaded on board a ship, with a man driving a wagon with packing cases stamped with the number 393. A cyclist is riding past on the wharf with a ship moored nearby.

Graeme Raphael

Henry Lewis Garrett : Degree of Associate of Arts

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC C8
  • Collection
  • 1863

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Seal of Tasmanian Council of Education 1859, red wax, lozenge shaped, backed paper: open book "Floreat Tasmania' on diamond pattern, in tin (separate from document). Diploma has decorative border of oak Leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Degree of Associate of Arts

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Diploma has decorative border of oak leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Greg Dickens Photographic Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS ITCCD 2017/14
  • Collection
  • 1960 - 2014

Photographs taken by Greg Dickens, many depicting railway lines and sidings, ships, historical buildings, rural scenes, churches and infrastructure throughout Tasmania.

Greg Dickens

Former Bridge Hotel at Ouse

Colour landscape photograph shows exterior of derelict Bridge Hotel at Ouse, situated in the crook of the Ouse River, a sandstone, weatherboard and tin structure, with windows boarded up

View of Clifton Priory and powerlines across front lawn

Colour photograph of Clifton Priory, Bothwell, showing powerlines across front lawn below hedge. National heritage register citation is as follows: “Two storey stone Tudor Gothic house built in 1847-8 by Rev. Robert Wilson from public subscription. Wilson caused a scandal when he ran into financial difficulties and sold it owing a considerable sum. The house is magnificently sited on Barrack Hill from where it enjoys fine views of Bothwell, the Clyde River and surrounding countryside.”

View of Clifton Priory atop Barrack Hill, Bothwell

Colour photograph of Clifton Priory, Bothwell, showing gardens, lawn and hedge below front door. National heritage register citation is as follows: “Two storey stone Tudor Gothic house built in 1847-8 by Rev. Robert Wilson from public subscription. Wilson caused a scandal when he ran into financial difficulties and sold it owing a considerable sum. The house is magnificently sited on Barrack Hill from where it enjoys fine views of Bothwell, the Clyde River and surrounding countryside.”

Clifton Priory atop Barrack Hill, Bothwell

Colour photograph of Clifton Priory, Bothwell. National heritage register citation is as follows: “Two storey stone Tudor Gothic house built in 1847-8 by Rev. Robert Wilson from public subscription. Wilson caused a scandal when he ran into financial difficulties and sold it owing a considerable sum. The house is magnificently sited on Barrack Hill from where it enjoys fine views of Bothwell, the Clyde River and surrounding countryside.”

People standing outside former Coffee Palace, Bothwell

Colour photograph of people standing beside motor vehicles parked outside former coffee palace, hotel and doctor’s surgery at 90 Dalrymple Street Bothwell. Citation on National heritage register: “A two storey brick and stucco Georgian building with a stone rear section, licensed as the Young Queen from 1851-1877 when the name was changed to Maskell's Hotel. The building appears in a book on Colonial architecture by Hardy Wilson with a crinolined lady at the doorway with luggage and bird cage. The building is an important townscape element.”

Results 1 to 100 of 1706