Collection P1 - George Musgrave Parker: Correspondence and research records

First Landing, printed reproduction of painting, coloured Entrance to the Derwent The Shot Tower, Brown's River Road Shot Tower & Derwent River Sandy Bay Beach Hobart wharves, steam sail boats Boat Harbour, Hobart Floating Bridge, Derwent River War Memorial, Hobart The Post Office, Hobart The Post Office, Hobart Franklin Square, Hobart Post Office, Murray Street Penitentiary Building , Sarah Island Penitentiary Building , Sarah Island Penitentiary Building , Sarah Island Postcards of prisoner's sentence Postcard of prisoner's pass Port Arthur in  1847 Ruins  of  Port Arthur Penitentiary, Port Arthur Church, Port Arthur Point Puer underground cells, ruined Tessellate Pavement, Eaglehawk Neck Dead Island, Port Arthur Cape Raoul, Tasman Peninsula Buckland church Buckland  Church Arched  doorway,  looking  out Buckland church  porch Buckland church interior Buckland graveyard Gravestone at Buckland church Gravestone at Buckland church Orford:  Prosser  River,  "Paradise" Orford Bridge The old barracks at Spring Bay The old court house and police  office at Spring Bay Dead Island, Spring Bay Triabunna  Boarding  House Mayfield cottages - Buxton Cottages Mayfield -  Oast House Mayfield Mill Mayfield jetty Coastal view: East Coast near Swansea Coast view: East Coast Rocky Hills Rocky Hills Road, old penal station Rocky Hills Road looking towards old penal station Rocky Hills Road: old penal station Rocky Hills:  commandant's  house, now "Thirza" Rocky Hills: convict buildings in distance Rocky  Hills:  ruins Rocky  Hills:  ruins Rocky  Hills:  graveyard East  Coast,  view  from  Rocky  Hills  looking  north The  Schoutens  from  Spiky  Bridge Spiky  Bridge Spiky  Bridge Spiky  Bridge Swansea  Beach Swansea  Beach Kelvedon,  near  Swansea Garden at Kelvedon Kelvedon Kelvedon Kelvedon House and garden at Kelvedon Apsley  house Apsley  house Milton:  old  house,  stone  on  north  side Milton Milton:  the  residence  of  J. Allen Milton:  the  residence  of  J. Allen Glen  Gala House:  brick  house,  croquet  lawn Malunnah Meredith  River,  looking  upstream  to  Cambria Apsley Log Cabin Harbottle's  cottage at Swansea Bluff  Cottage, formerly known as  Harbottle's  Cottage  and Caulfield Cottage Floods in the Cranbrook district Cranbrook Bridge Cranbrook Bridge Gala Mill, near Cranbrook Apslawn House Apslawn House Swanwick Swanwick  and the Swan River

Identity area

Reference code

AU TAS UTAS SPARC P1

Title

George Musgrave Parker: Correspondence and research records

Date(s)

  • 1922-1965 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

11 type 1 boxes, 2 linear meters

Context area

Name of creator

(1885-1964)

Biographical history

Dr G.Musgrave Parker (1885-1965) qualified in medicine (M.B. B.Ch.) at Cambridge, U.K., in 1913, and in 1914 he was appointed a medical officer of health in Swansea. From 1915 until 1918 he served with the Australian forces in Egypt and France. On return he served as medical officer for the Kentish Municipality (Sheffield, Rai1ton) 1919-1921; Swansea 1921-1926 and Clarence, 1926-1947, and then joined the staff of the Repatriation Hospital, Hobart, until he retired in 1955. He acted as president of branches of the RSL at Kentish, Swansea and Lindisfarne. He devoted most of his spare time, however, to a study of the history of the East Coast and hoped to write a book on it, but this was never finished.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Bequeathed to the University of Tasmania under the will of Dr G.M.Parker, 1965.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Most of the papers consist of notes made about historical queries, a rough draft of his book, and correspondence with East Coast residents and others requesting information. There is also a collection of newspaper cuttings and pamphlets relating to the history of Tasmania, especially the East Coast and some photographs and snapshots. Dr Parker also collected some original historical documents~ chiefly from East Coast families (although those of Dr Storey and the Cotton families have now been returned to the Cotton archives (ref. C.7). Dr Parker's collection of Walch's Almanacs has been supplemented by others received from Walch's and is kept up to date and now forms a complete record set for Walch's records (kept for reference in the Archives Reading Room). Some early newspapers (including Colonial Times, Southern Cross, Launceston Courier) were transferred to the State Archives to fill gaps in their collection .

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open for consultation

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found here: http://eprints.utas.edu.au/11034/

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

18 January 2017 (creation) HE

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places